Vermited snail ID / Removal / Peppermint Shrimp / Best Practices

Alexander1312

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 10, 2022
Messages
158
Reaction score
110
Location
San Francisco Bay Area, California, United States
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(ID) I have seen the Vermited snails as a brown tube, but I have a couple of them which are white, as per the picture - or is this something else?

(Best way to remove them) Also, quick question when removing them: I always seem to have a couple of them, and we crush their tube and then put putty over them. However, is it sufficient to crush the tube and let bumble bee snails do the rest?

(Peppermint shrimp effective?) Lastly, based on the recent BRS video where a comment was made that Peppermint shrimp would eat the Vermited snails out of a crushed tube, have others seen the same happening, or is this more anecdotal?

(Best practices) Again, I do not have many of them (yet), and I would like to keep them at bay as aggressively as possible - any additional advice or best practices would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_5901.jpeg
 
Yes its a vermatid.

Yes you can crush them and let the BBS eat them pending they go after it.

I wouldnt trust peps to even take care of aiptasia without going after coral lol.

Best practice is to scrape them off as you see them or simply putty the tube shut and scrape at a later date when the snail inside is dead.
 
I recently figured out I have a big vermatid sitting right next to a pectinia and it isnt bothering it in the slightest. I have always heard about them and wondering if these tiny purplish spikes that are all in my tank were them and it wasnt untill I had flow off and noticed a web was coming from the big one. What is the big deal about them? Why cant you just crush them? I dont know if I jut got lucky with the vermatid and the pectina and now I am wondering if I should glue all these tiny spikes on top because I am about ready to permanetly place corals on my rock and they are a lot of them sitting on my rocks but very tiny.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top