Vinegar concentration in water for cleaning old tank...

Joe Batt

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 15, 2017
Messages
495
Reaction score
286
Location
Dubai
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am shortly tearing down a tank that has been running 3 years, to convert it to Triton with a new sump etc.

Its a 350-litre tank and the intention is to fill the tank with fresh water and vinegar, run it with all pumps, skimmer etc for a few days to clean and sterilize it. What ratio of vinegar to water is good for dissolving all the old buildups in pumps, overflow etc with little elbow grease?
 
9:1 ratio is what I use and works very well!
 
I’ve read on here a 9:1 ratio works well. I personally mix it on the stronger side and leave my system running for a day or so, minor scrubbing, and after a rinse very well and it’s good to go!
 
Since you mentioned elbow grease, I would use straight vinegar warmed in a pan and a nylon dish scrubber.
Go over the whole area first with the warmed straight vinegar and nylon scrubber, maybe even twice, then fill and use as much vinegar as you can.
 
Since you mentioned elbow grease, I would use straight vinegar warmed in a pan and a nylon dish scrubber.
Go over the whole area first with the warmed straight vinegar and nylon scrubber, maybe even twice, then fill and use as much vinegar as you can.

I guess setting the heater on high in the tank should help as well with the vinegar water mix
 
I guess setting the heater on high in the tank should help as well with the vinegar water mix
It may.
I know that I've cleaned a couple pretty dirty tanks in the last couple years and a friend told me to heat the vinegar.
I tried it and it really seemed to help.
I also noticed the usual strong vinegar smell was also much stronger.
 
I will have a stinky house for a few days I guess ! Better than the bleach smell though :)
 
Vinegar odor can be strong but it dissapates pretty quickly. Also, it has a certain crisp, clean smell about it.

If the vinegar does not work for you, you can try a berserk option. Buy some muriatic acid, known by chemists as hydrochloric acid. Dilute it about 20 to 1. Add acid to water and never vice versa. Don’t breathe the fumes. Optimally use a fume hood. Since no one has a fume hood, do it outside... at least the mixing of the acid and water. Working with acid can be dangerous but it is a stronger option. The good thing about vinegar is that you would have to work mighty hard hurting yourself with it.
 
Vinegar odor can be strong but it dissapates pretty quickly. Also, it has a certain crisp, clean smell about it.

If the vinegar does not work for you, you can try a berserk option. Buy some muriatic acid, known by chemists as hydrochloric acid. Dilute it about 20 to 1. Add acid to water and never vice versa. Don’t breathe the fumes. Optimally use a fume hood. Since no one has a fume hood, do it outside... at least the mixing of the acid and water. Working with acid can be dangerous but it is a stronger option. The good thing about vinegar is that you would have to work mighty hard hurting yourself with it.

I will give the vinegar a go first. I have used muriatic acid before for removing the top layer from old rocks to help alleviate the phosphate issues with old rocks.
 
Citric acid works well. I buy it in bulk online and use it to clean everything. Also, no sour vinegar smell, you need far less space storing a powder than gallons of vinegar, and can make up any concentration you want.
 
I have bought all my tanks used, and I use straight vinegar and elbow grease. My current tank was neglected for a long before I got it and all four walls were covered in algae. Vinegar in a spray bottle. I would spray the whole tank, scrape once with an algae scraper, and repeat. It only took a couple rounds and it was done. Done the same thing to a bunch of tanks that were once saltwater I used for fresh years ago. Time, patience, elbow grease, and an open window/fan help. Good luck!
 
I just use straight "cleaning strength" vinegar it has 1% more acidity then the normal stuff, will clean of anything no scrubbing of you have flow going
 
Hi, I know this thread is old but I am tearing down my tank after a losing battle with dinoflagellates and now aiptasia are taking over, if I use the 9:1 ratio of water and vinegar and run my tank for a few days like this will it kill any unwanted algae/bacteria/aiptasia cells? I am pulling my hair out and this is my last shot at maintaining a reef tank, I'll be using real reef rock this time and no more live rock, thanks.
 
@Matt78lfc

Use straight up 5% acidity and a rag.....its PERFECT for cleaning.

Word of warning..... you get your head down inside the tank with full strength vinegar, your eyes and throat will burn.

Its non toxic to your system and health, but sure is powerfully overwhelming to your eyes and breathing



.
 
@Matt78lfc

Use straight up 5% acidity and a rag.....its PERFECT for cleaning.

Word of warning..... you get your head down inside the tank with full strength vinegar, your eyes and throat will burn.

Its non toxic to your system and health, but sure is powerfully overwhelming to your eyes and breathing



.
Hi, thanks for the reply, the reason I want to run the system full is to get in to all the nooks and crannies, pipework etc, will this cleanse it from the nasties? It's more to rid the tank of pests before I reboot it than to clean stubborn bits off, Thanks.
 
Hi, I know this thread is old but I am tearing down my tank after a losing battle with dinoflagellates and now aiptasia are taking over, if I use the 9:1 ratio of water and vinegar and run my tank for a few days like this will it kill any unwanted algae/bacteria/aiptasia cells? I am pulling my hair out and this is my last shot at maintaining a reef tank, I'll be using real reef rock this time and no more live rock, thanks.
To dissolve organic matter, bleach works better.
 
To dissolve organic matter, bleach works better.
Hi thank you, don't know why I didn't think of that, will use bleach then seachem prime, have you got a preferred ratio? Thanks.
 
Hi thank you, don't know why I didn't think of that, will use bleach then seachem prime, have you got a preferred ratio? Thanks.
In the past when I use bleach to remove things like aiptasia, majanos, and button polyps off live rock, I used 3-4 cups per 5 gallons of water and gotten good results in 24 to 48 hours.
Instead of Prime, I use a cheaper product.
API Tap Water Conditioner.
 
In the past when I use bleach to remove things like aiptasia, majanos, and button polyps off live rock, I used 3-4 cups per 5 gallons of water and gotten good results in 24 to 48 hours.
Instead of Prime, I use a cheaper product.
API Tap Water Conditioner.

Thanks very much, I will get some before and after pics up, going to use real reef rock when it's sterilized I hope with better results this time around
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top