VorTech MP40QD on the way out, replacing dry side worth it?

dangros

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
May 24, 2014
Messages
547
Reaction score
178
Location
northern va
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys think it's worth replacing the dry side of my vortech, replacing the whole thing, or get an alternative?
So this is the sound my Vortech occasionally makes now: Looks like the bearings are history.
It's a 5+ years MP40QD. Are there new options avail that are as beautiful and quiet (at least when functioning properly :) )?
At some point, I may have to replace the other one on the opposite side of the tank as well as it's starting to sound a bit louder at high speeds.
1) that's a lot of money
2) difficult to find a dry side in stock now
3) cheaper alternatives available.

What you guys and gals think?
 
Last edited:
Check out Maxspect gyres. I've had two 330s for almost two years and love them. They move a ton of water, are so silent you can't hear them and have a nice profile in the tank. The downsides, especially when compared to MP40s, are you do have to clean them every month and you have the cord in the tank. 100% worth it, though. $450 for two, btw.
 
I’ve gone through a couple wet sides but never a dry side. I haven’t been overly tempted to move away from Vortechs so I’d consider replacing the dry side. For me I just really don’t like cords in the tank, especially since my tank is eurobraced so cords are harder to manage. Also, I’m still running MP40w ES’s, that pre date the QD’s. The things have been running 24/7 for 13ish years. Not many power heads have that kind of longevity.
 
You might look at Nero 5. It's very quiet and about the same size as the MP40 wet side. It does require a skinny cable in the tank but I can barely see it against the black background in my tank. Not worth the premium price increase to have the cord outside the tank to me (IMO a thick cable outside doesn't really look any better than a small cable inside the tank). Also has the advantage of being able to put the "dry side" magnet mount inside the overflow box (can't do that with an MP).
 
There’s not a lot of quality powerheads that last 5+ years.

Also, if you just replace the dry side motor, it’s considerably cheaper. You keep your wetside and controller. I think it’s $200 and some change?

here it is:
 
Nero 5. Idk about spending 200$ more for the cable to be outside it’s not that noticeable. (At least to me)
 
Just change the bearings
 
Just change the bearings
Was just going to say the same thing. Pretty easy to do, and even if you have to buy a puller, you'll still save a hundred bucks over brand new.
 
MP is definitely my favorite. Still haven't had anything that surpasses the quality, look, and durability. There's a reason they're the top-selling wavemaker.
 
I think the link was for the older models. I didnt think the bearing replacements worked for the QD's.
Just change the bearings
 
yeah replace the bearings, there are a few different sizes, Ecotech did a bunch of silent revisions on the mp line. best bet is to remove them and measure with calipers.
 
Where would you recommend I buy the bearings? I still haven’t done this but the mp40 is getting pretty annoying and forcing the issue :)
 
Both my tanks have 1x each mp40 and 1x Nero 5. To be honest I like them.aboit the same. If I had to buy one new I'd look to save $200 and go with the Nero. Yes the Nero has the cord.outside but it's a lot smaller and the pump inside the tank.is smaller. That being said if you have a huge tank (180+) you may need the umph the MP40 has.. I do think it's a stronger pump in general. But 2x Nero 5s could.probablu move the same water as 1x MP40 for the same.price.point
 
I tried and failed on one and bought another dryside. On another I used sks bearings and it makes noise. You really need to find the highest quality bearing you can. Mine feels perfect spinning by hand. Yet you can hear it bad, when plugged in. With bad bearings you can feel failed ones easy enough. Tempted to make a rubber bushing for bearing to seat into that will quiet minor bearing issues. Should have got the best bearing out there not just a great bearing
 
I have MP40's and MP10's. I added a Nero 5 to add more flow to my 120 and have to admit if the MP's it has on each end ever quit it would be difficult for me not to replace them with a Nero 5. The Nero's cord bothered me at first but I don't even notice it now. They are also incredibly easy to clean and take apart. I really like the way they mount and that you get a little directional movement with them if you need it.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top