Want to setup a nano aquarium but need help.

  • Thread starter Thread starter bir123
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

bir123

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 3, 2015
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so i never had a saltwater aquarium before only freshwater and i kept fish like discus and apistos ect.
I would like to move away from those and set up a saltwater reef tank.the tank is going to be 18 by 18 by 18.i currently have a aquaclear 50 and 110 that can be used in the aquarium.can you guys please tell me some equipment that i wud need and pleas recomend spectific brand and modles if possible.
Tempreture by me stays around 80f .
Goinh 18 by 18 by 18
Looking to start off with 2 clown fish a few imvertibrates.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated anf what other species of fish can be kept in the aquarium with the clowns.
Thank you in advance
 
First off welcome to R2R!! I would suggest looking through the nano forum at some
Builds to get some ideas. I'm not too familiar with nano equipment so I don't have specific models. But things to look into are powerheads to add flow hydor makes a pretty nice small powerheads, a small heater, and possibly a skimmer. If you plan to keep the bioload fairly low and keep upon water changes you may be able to skip the skimmer. As far as other fish go I would maybe look into a pistol shrimp and goby pair, blennys are a good choice too. Firefish are small fish and are pretty cool. You can also look at some cardinals too. Let's see if we can get you some more input. [HASHTAG]#reefsquad[/HASHTAG]
 
Here is the link to my 15" cube nano, might give you some ideas. Equipment list should be up to date. Only thing not listed is the dosing pump, forget the model....its one of the cheap $100 ones. I also had a tailspot blenny but he jumped out. Looking for something myself to replace him with.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/15gal-sps-dominated-nano.161673/

My advice would be go as big as you can....because eventually you will want more space. It's almost inevitable even if your interests lie in the small tanks lol. I'm in the process of drawing up plans and pricing everything out for a sizable upgrade.
 
Lol thanks alot bro was thinking about doing a 75 gl but the cost is too high atm .Already have the tank but it is freshwater discus aquarium ,eventually when i get enought experience i will.convert.
 
75 is a good size, the nano tanks unless fish only are a lil harder than they look when it comes too sps
 
Already have the nano tank and some equipments so that is the tank i setting up .Iam not adding coral until i get a little experience .So about 6 monts or so until i add coral but for nw just live rock ,live sand ,invertebrates ,and a pair of clown fish.
 
Do i need a heater evean if then tem avg aroumd 78 to 82
Thanks for the help so far guys.
 
I would suggest adding a good piece of live rock and crushed coral as a substrate.Sand may blow around all over the place in a small aquarium.I like the maxi-jet line of powerheads.The pumps are inexpensive and you could attach a sponge to it to collect particles or use it to drive a small skimmer.I would also suggest looking into other fish as pair of clowns can become aggressive towards tank mates.I like Springeri damsels and watchman gobies.The later will make great pairs with each other and pistol shrimps.
As far as the heater goes you may be able to get by without one provided you have a good thermometer and truly stable room temperatures.However if the aquarium ever gets too cold (or hot) you run the risk of losing coral.Also frequent temperature fluctuations with stress out all the inhabitants so make sure it stays stable.A gradual change over a few degrees is okay.
 
Thanks alot currently have 3 fresh water aquariums and i monitor the tem.In the moring it is about 78 and mid day around 81 to 82 throughout the year.
Some people told me i sud use a chiller because my temp is so high.
 
Also what are some beginer corals that are veryyy easy to keep.And a light that wud be able to grow croal and fit this 25 gl 18inch cube thank that is not too expensive.
 
Last edited:
a4fc057e0c66233693ef8875a021f1ea.jpg

My 75 gallon saltwater has cycled so I added I Molly, snails and hermit crabs so far. Yeah! [emoji2]
 
Guy need help to pick a test kit and what filtermedia to put in the filter.Currently i have a aquaclear 110 and 50 not sure which one im using on the tank as yet.
 
Also what are some beginer corals that are veryyy easy to keep.And a light that wud be able to grow croal and fit this 25 gl 18inch cube thank that is not too expensive.
Some good beginner corals are sacrophyton,mushrooms,caulastrea and zoanthids.
DSCF1532.JPG
Mushroom corals.
DSCF1472.JPG
Caulastrea



For lighting recommendations,try asking your question here
https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/equipment-lighting-hardware-aquarium-filtration.30/

Guy need help to pick a test kit and what filtermedia to put in the filter.Currently i have a aquaclear 110 and 50 not sure which one im using on the tank as yet.
For test kits I use mostly API and Red Sea brand.Many people prefer the latter.Also I use carbon and purigen inside my hang on the tank filter.Occasionally I use a filter pad to collect debris,just be sure to keep it clean when going this route.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top