Want to smooth out this paint finish

  • Thread starter Thread starter glb
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
May 12, 2013
Messages
8,141
Reaction score
3,367
Location
Miami
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I painted the side of my stand yesterday and want to smooth it out a little:
image.jpeg

It has one coat of Kilz 2 latex and two coats of Ace latex paint (their version of Benjamin Moore). I sanded the surface before painting and between each coat using an orbital sander and 220 sandpaper. The texture is from the 3/4" roller I used. What can I do to smooth it out? I'm thinking sand it down, use a brush and thin the paint a little. Any help is appreciated!
 
I painted the side of my stand yesterday and want to smooth it out a little:
image.jpeg

It has one coat of Kilz 2 latex and two coats of Ace latex paint (their version of Benjamin Moore). I sanded the surface before painting and between each coat using an orbital sander and 220 sandpaper. The texture is from the 3/4" roller I used. What can I do to smooth it out? I'm thinking sand it down, use a brush and thin the paint a little. Any help is appreciated!
The majority of your issue is the 3/4" roller. A 3/16" mohair would have produced a better finish. Sanding waterborne acrylics is a tough deal. It tends to gum up and soften the film. You can try sanding again and using a lower nap cover or buy/borrow something like a Wagner cup gun and spray it.
 
The majority of your issue is the 3/4" roller. A 3/16" mohair would have produced a better finish. Sanding waterborne acrylics is a tough deal. It tends to gum up and soften the film. You can try sanding again and using a lower nap cover or buy/borrow something like a Wagner cup gun and spray it.
Thanks. I figured the roller was the problem. I'll sand it down and try again.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top