Water Changes: Where do you stand on water changes for your reef tank?

Where do you stand on water changes for your reef tank?

  • Regular Water Changes

    Votes: 747 62.4%
  • Occasional Water Changes

    Votes: 230 19.2%
  • Very Seldom Water Changes

    Votes: 84 7.0%
  • Water Change ONLY when there is an issue

    Votes: 95 7.9%
  • NO Water Changes Ever

    Votes: 42 3.5%

  • Total voters
    1,198
I see a argue for WC here (and everywhere else) that it is good for replenish elements. I think that trace elements is very important for a good reef aquarium - but I can´t see how you can guarantee it with WC and commercial synthetic salt mixtures. Please explain that for me

MVH Lasse
I guess that would depend on the quality of your synthetic salt mixture. I question that as well, but then again, I don’t test for trace elements, so I don’t know if my IO replenishes trace elements or not.

Like I said, I use it to export detritus. I know there have been several discussions on that topic, so I’m not even sure how important that is. Aren’t you the one with 10cm of detritus in your overflow?
 
Aren’t you the one with 10cm of detritus in your overflow?
No - but I have a 20 cm DSB with remote flow in the refugium that is also my first overflow.

I do not think that any quality of synthetic reef salt mix can guarantee your wanted trace elements level. At least no one that I can afford. If I want to have NSW concentrations of the most important traces (and some macro elements too)

Sincerely Lasse
 
1) I do 15-20% WC every two weeks. Roughly.
2) I run a CaRx full of coral skeleton, so replacing trace elements are not a concern for me. However, I believe WCs are helpful for removing & diluting the inevitable "pollutants" actively and passively introduced into the system.
 
inevitable "pollutants" actively and passively introduced into the system
that´s my second consideration - which are those "pollutants" and how does they affect my system?

Sincerely Lasse
 
I have been changing 20% monthly, but plan on moving to 30% monthly auto water changes, once I upgrade my controller. Hoping to save some money in not using weekly Red Sea trace additions and more stable water chemistry.
 
AWC over the course of the month. 90 gallons for a system of approximately 550 gallons .... so what’s that .... about 15% monthly. Two 50 gallon bags of IO, so around $17 per month.
 
I see a argue for WC here (and everywhere else) that it is good for replenish elements. I think that trace elements is very important for a good reef aquarium - but I can´t see how you can guarantee it with WC and commercial synthetic salt mixtures. Please explain that for me

MVH Lasse

LOL ... you cannot of course. Dosing became a pox in the hobby based on some variation of ‘don’t supplement if you don’t test’ yet water changes as replenishment are simply a different form of dosing.
 
1. How often do you "change out your water" in your reef tank, what percent and how many gallons is your system? Or do you even?

2. How important or not important do you think water changes are for your reef tank?

1. I have an auto water change system setup using my Apex and a DŌS. It changes about 1 gallon/day.My total system volume is about 65 gallons.

2. In prior tanks I rarely did water changes and always had issues with algae. This time around I decided to stay on top of water changes and haven't seen those issues so far. Therefore, I think water changes are very important for my system.
 
I considered the AWC of a galllon a day while gathering equipment for a year before startup.
Just did not have the space so went the other direction.
It is still a thought when I upgrade to a system 3 times my current 120.
Will need think it through as some rescapimg of the garage will be needed.
 
On my 5 primary saltwater tanks/systems, lately I have been doing about 20% water changes once or twice a month.
 
water changes as replenishment are simply a different form of dosing
Yes - but I still not understand - how can a WC with a dry synthetic salt guarantee that I get these types of trace (and some macros) in wanted concentrations? Hint 1 - I want NSW with 2 µg/l (2 ppb) manganese (it means 2 µg in each litre. In average - it is around 38 - 40 gram synthetic salt to each litre of saltwater) - and I want 8 mg/l (ppm) of strontium in this litre of perfect sea water-

Sincerely Lasse
 
Last edited:
1. 10% weekly with H2ocean Pro natural sea salt on my 55 litre nano...i feel more comfortable letting nature take care of the trace element balance etc, rather than a human made synthetic mix

2. For my aquarium and personal reefing ethos ( of the happiness of the inhabitants being priority) i consider it very essential....regardless of currently available export mechanisms eventually that water is going to get pretty funky in one way or another....i liken it to if you don't open that teenagers bedroom and let some fresh air in occasionally the air is going to become pretty funky.... thick and tasteable ;Greedy
 
So, I live in Arizona, and especially in the summer, it’s very dry. I have a 150 gal, and lose roughly 15%-20% to evaporation each week. I have a 10 gallon auto top off, and refill it twice a week. That suffices for a “water change”, right.
 
So, I live in Arizona, and especially in the summer, it’s very dry. I have a 150 gal, and lose roughly 15%-20% to evaporation each week. I have a 10 gallon auto top off, and refill it twice a week. That suffices for a “water change”, right.
LOL. No that's just evaporation.
 
I do weekly water changes just to clean the bottom of my bare bottom tank. I take 20 out of the display and 5 gallons out of my sump of any built up detritus on my 70.2 waterbox reef tank.
 
But how important are regular water changes for hard coral systems and soft coral systems?
 
I only do one once I see piles of detritus accumulating on the bottom of my bare bottom tank. I use some kz elements stuff in between. Corals seem happier once I got lazy with WCs.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top