Water from fallow DT to new QT

  • Thread starter Thread starter mlivvy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

mlivvy

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 16, 2009
Messages
697
Reaction score
318
Location
RI
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I use some water from my DT thats been fallow for months in a new QT setup? Just trying to help it cycle.
 
I would make new clean water to start the QT just to be safe. You can seed media with bacteria from your tank to add to the QT then dose with bacteria also. Here's a link with the best breakdown of a QT I've seen. I'm new to this but setting up my QT right now as well so lots of reading.

 
Can I use some water from my DT thats been fallow for months in a new QT setup? Just trying to help it cycle.
Very few bacteria will be conferred by the water itself, nitrifying bacteria live on substrates. What I do is run a sponge filter in the sump of the DT, and have it ready to use. However, you need to do that a couple of months in advance of needing it.
Depending on your set up, you might be able to rinse some beneficial bacteria off your filter media in the DT, or even off the sand.
Jay
 
Thanks guys. I have these bricks in my DT sump. Could I move a few to the QT? I'm just afraid of anything dormant living on it.

1633005112111.png
 
Thanks guys. I have these bricks in my DT sump. Could I move a few to the QT? I'm just afraid of anything dormant living on it.

1633005112111.png
No worries about anything dormant - you’ll be treating for common pathogens during quarantine, and then the fish move into the DT anyway.
Jay
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top