Water testing in a reef tank: What parameters are you measuring?

What water parameters are you measuring? (select all that apply)

  • Alkalinity

    Votes: 375 88.9%
  • Calcium

    Votes: 310 73.5%
  • Copper

    Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Magnesium

    Votes: 272 64.5%
  • Nitrate

    Votes: 342 81.0%
  • pH

    Votes: 303 71.8%
  • Phosphate

    Votes: 326 77.3%
  • Salinity

    Votes: 377 89.3%
  • Temperature

    Votes: 358 84.8%
  • Trace elements

    Votes: 32 7.6%
  • Other

    Votes: 30 7.1%

  • Total voters
    422
I wish there was a way for me to automate it because I'm physically disabled but not very good with making my own tech, but -
When I'm physically able to, I check:
Magnesium, Calcium and Alkalinity
Salinity and Temperature
pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate
+ phosphate

I want to be able to test more things but I can't get more tests right now.
 
I test
temp, salinity, pH, Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates, and Alkalinity.

I have no idea why I test these, or what the swings in the numbers mean. If something is out of spec I look up how to get it back into good range...

Tank is new and currently only has a single clownfish in it. CUC is in QT, corals are on the horizon (4months)
 
Temp and PH constantly via Coralvue Hydros
Salinity twice a week with handheld Refractometer
Alkalinity, Phosphate, Nitrate, Calcium and Magnesium weekly with Hanna testers.
 
Alk, cal, mag, via trident
Temp via Helios and apex
Ph, salinity via apex
Phos, nitrate, salinity via Hanna every week or so
Trace via icp every other month
 
Salinity and temp and ph and orp constant, alk every 6 hours, magnesium and calcium every 12 hours, using trident for alk, mag and calcium set schedule
 
Apex probes & Trident does it's thing daily for the minimum amount.
Salinity weekly RELIGIOUSLY
Nitrate/Phosphate q 2weeks

I've sent an ICP test before just to see, but I don't have that on a schedule. I'm not convinced it's needed.
 
Water testing in a reef tank: What parameters are you measuring?

Some reef keepers test seemingly everything, and others do a few basic tests, keep up with water changes, and dose some general additives. There are many water parameters that can be tested and plenty of kits, probes, and digital meters to help with the testing, so there are plenty of measurement options. It may be a focus on nitrates and phosphates, or a focus on alkalinity, calcium, and pH, or using a ICP kit for a more extensive measurement approach. Please tell us what water parameters you are measuring? Additionally, let us know other related details such as how often, what measurement devices, and any other details or tips that you are willing to share.

hanslanda_testing.jpeg

Photo by @hanslanda


This QOTD is sponsored by: www.tckcorals.com

TCK_logo.png
that is the cheapest kit you can get!!! thumbs up!!
 
I test weekly for Magnesium, Calcium, Alkalinity, Nitrate, Phosphate, Salinity.

pH and Temp I have controller to see it at a glance, no need to test.
 
Temp continuously.
Alk maybe twice a week but that's dialled in nicely at the moment.
Salinity twice a week as I'm skimming wet at the moment.
pH once a week(it never sways)
Calcium once a week
Magnesium maybe once every two weeks as it's stable.
Phos & nitrate maybe 4 times a week currently as I'm target feeding every couple of days & want to dial in GFO/carbon dosing accordingly.
 
Water testing in a reef tank: What parameters are you measuring?

Some reef keepers test seemingly everything, and others do a few basic tests, keep up with water changes, and dose some general additives. There are many water parameters that can be tested and plenty of kits, probes, and digital meters to help with the testing, so there are plenty of measurement options. It may be a focus on nitrates and phosphates, or a focus on alkalinity, calcium, and pH, or using a ICP kit for a more extensive measurement approach. Please tell us what water parameters you are measuring? Additionally, let us know other related details such as how often, what measurement devices, and any other details or tips that you are willing to share.

hanslanda_testing.jpeg

Photo by @hanslanda


This QOTD is sponsored by: www.tckcorals.com

TCK_logo.png
I monitor Temp and Salinity multiple times a day using the Hanna HI98319 Salinity checker. I test Phosphates and pH twice a week (just because I run GFO and have a CO2 Scrubber and don't want either getting too low or too high) and Alkalinity, Calcium, Magnesium, Nitrate and Ammonia usually once a week, a day after I do my weekly water change. I use the Hanna HI97115 which I test all parameters with one kit and I can compare my test results with past tests on my phone.
 
I test once a week with the aquaspin alk, ph, phos, ca, mag, ammo, nitrite, nitrate. Also temp regularly as well. I water change every week so i test before the change.
 
For a lot of years I only measured temperature and salinity.
Not I also measure ph, alk, mg, ca and po4.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top