Waterfall noise in Waterbox Reef 130.4

  • Thread starter Thread starter gkMiami
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

gkMiami

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 7, 2021
Messages
19
Reaction score
7
Location
Fl Lauderdale
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

This is my first reef aquarium. I bought a 130.4 Waterbox Reef tank. Right now I'm going through a fishless cycling process and letting the tank get set up. I hear a dropping noise from the "waterfall" as water comes to the grill in the overflow box. Even if I raise the water another 1/4 inch up to by overflow drain, the sounds still persists.

I'm wondering if I could put a sponge or something else that would dull the sound. Any concerns? Any other suggestions? Am I being to demanding with the level of noise I should expect :) ?

Thanks!

1612730757755.png



1612730703525.png
 
I have zip tied a ziploc bag there to allow the water to run down the plastic instead of dropping into the tank. Worked great. A sponge might accomplish the same thing but would need cleaned occasionally
 
Thanks Kenny, would you mind sending a pic so I could get a sense of how you secured it. I'm concerned with it blocking my return.

I'm also thinking of raising the standpipe level a 1/2inch inch so it aligns with my aquarium water level. hope that is not going to lead to bigger issues.
 
Sorry I don't have a picture. It's been a long time since I've done this. You basically just need to create a path for the water to run down rather than just fall and splash into the overflow. If you do the plastic bag method be sure it doesn't plug your overflow teeth it drain!
 
adjust the gate valve. if there is continuous noise with a lot of bubbles in the sump then u need to close the valve. if its intermittent/broken noise without bubbles then water is going in the emergency drain. u need to open the valve a bit.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top