- Joined
- Nov 30, 2022
- Messages
- 49
- Reaction score
- 21
- Location
- 92104
- What state or country do you live in
- California
Anyone know what this is? It is the third time this has developed. It literally happens overnight. Is it harmful to my livestock?
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
This is a flagellate- Not dino flagellate and is often alleviated by increasing the skimming with protein skimmer and also reducing white light intensity a little and directing flow towards the glassAnyone know what this is? It is the third time this has developed. It literally happens overnight. Is it harmful to my livestock?![]()
![]()
Labyrinthula (though I haven’t researched this enough yet to verify if it actually is Labyrinthula or just worms that look like Labyrinthula). The consensus seems to be that it’s harmless unless you’re trying to keep seagrasses.
Here are some threads dealing with them (some more similar to yours than others):
![]()
What is this vein like growth on my glass?!?
for the last couple days in the morning I have had a couple of these “vein” like growths going up my glass from my substrate. I have never seen them before in my tank or in any posts. Not sure what they are. Any help is much appreciated! TIA.www.reef2reef.com
![]()
Worm and Weird Growth?
Any thoughts on what these hitchhikers are and whether or not their beneficial or harmful to my nano reef?www.reef2reef.com
![]()
New hitchhikers!
Recently I found a jelly fish and a peanut worm, but I am having trouble identifying this yellowish object that continuously moves around on the glass of my tank. Today I have found a similar yellow dot... what is this?www.reef2reef.com
![]()
Sudden single spidery algae monster
This popped up and grew exponentially within hours. It looks and feels like algae (wipes off easy), but the sudden onset is weird! I haven't cleaned the tank in several weeks, so there's a small bit of normal film algae, but no problems or algae anywhere else. Any insight? Thank you!www.reef2reef.com
![]()
ID and help please?
Hi, Left the house for a couple hours, come in and straight away check the tank as usual. Find this to what looks to be coming out the sand bed and up the glass around 6-8” or so. many ideas what it is? Should I be worried or need to do anything or can it just be left alone? Seems to be moving...www.reef2reef.com
![]()
Anyone ever see something like this?
No clue what this is. It moves around, but cant really "see" it moving. I've seen it on the rocks in different areas and once on the back glass. Looks like there is something similar in the sump.www.reef2reef.com
![]()
Omg what is this in my tank?!
I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum but I wasn't sure where to post since idk what this "alien thing" is! it just came out of nowhere. I haven't added anything new to my tank in over 3 months. The only thing that has changed is my trochus snails exploded babies all over lol please help....what...www.reef2reef.com
Thank you. Is it harmful to my fish? If i look closely, it's alive and almost seem to have worm like movement patterns. I did have white light pretty high at 80%.This is a flagellate- Not dino flagellate and is often alleviated by increasing the skimming with protein skimmer and also reducing white light intensity a little and directing flow towards the glass
Thank you. This helps quite a bit. Some weird things are going on in my tank which makes sense because it's still new only about 5 months.If you click my username in the quote below, it'll take you to the thread it's posted in for another example:
Harmless- just aesthetically uglyThank you. Is it harmful to my fish? If i look closely, it's alive and almost seem to have worm like movement patterns. I did have white light pretty high at 80%.
It truly is and as others have described as alien like. I think I'm blasting too much white light in my tank, I just reduced it to 50% from 80% hopefully that helps get rid of it as it seems it likes light. The branching originated from the substrate and rose up to nearly the top of my 32 gallon tank.Harmless- just aesthetically ugly
Yep, starts from substrate and light reduction will helpIt truly is and as others have described as alien like. I think I'm blasting too much white light in my tank, I just reduced it to 50% from 80% hopefully that helps get rid of it as it seems it likes light. The branching originated from the substrate and rose up to nearly the top of my 32 gallon tank.

