Weird color change after blowing off coral

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 25, 2017
Messages
2,417
Reaction score
6,056
Location
Florida
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was doing some maintenance in my tank by blowing off the rock and when I got around my Hobgoblin Leptoseris, the water blew on it and it turned purple. It has never done this before. I don't know what to think. Can any of you please help.
Parameters;
Temp - 77.5
Sg - 1.025 refractometer
Alk - 8.4 dKh
Calcium - 440
Nitrate - 2.5 ppm Red Sea Pro test kit
Phosphate - 0.0276 Hanna ULR phosphorus
Nitrite 0 ppm

Here is a picture of what it did.
IMG_1515.JPG



I also posted this in tank emergency because I was seeing other coral acting different. Does anyone have any idea what is going on?

Any suggestions on what I should do?
 
That's not tissue loss? Hard to tell from the pic honestly
 
It might help us to understand, if you can get a photo of the coral / color change under white (day) lighting.

~Bruce
Here is a picture under day lighting.

IMG_1516.JPG
 
It doesn't look like the coral turned purple to me. What it looks like is that the coral has died and receded from the sections that had the detritus or whatever was on it. After the skeleton turned white it looks like now that the coral has coralline algae in that area. Just a guess from the picture. Doesn't seem to be any live tissue in that area. My advice is to blow off the detritus and stuff in the aquarium at least once a week. That is what I do.
 
If there's still tissue there it should color back up in a couple days time. Recently my jack o lantern did this after it bumped against a rock and left a couple pale areas. But I do agree with mtraylor, best not to have detritus settle on any coral.
 
There wasn't anything on the coral when it got hit by the water from the baster. I was blowing off the rock right beside it. The area that changed color looked exactly like the rest of the coral before the water from the baster hit it. Today it has mostly changed back to the original color. I think maybe it got bruised a bit.
 
Curious how this turned out for you......
Currently going through same problem....
Thanks for any feedback....
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top