What’s the most cost effective way to dose trace elements?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Fisherman Joe

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 2, 2015
Messages
681
Reaction score
220
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seen lots of different options, Trion, ATI and Aquaforest at different prices AMA volumes.

Does anyone know the most cost effective way to dose things like Vanadium, Zink, Nickel and Manganese?

Some are £12 for 200ml like aquaforest, and Triton is £20 for 100ml BUT you can’t easily compare the concentration.

These are recommended each month.
 
Tropic marin balling method seems legit and brs recommended. I used red sea trace for a few months and they are good too but i switched to tropic marin due to easiness. Just dose along with two parts. Its only been a week since the switch so idk long term yet.
 
You make a good pint but the problem witch what your propose is not knowing the exact levels of what you are dosing.

I need to add vanadium etc. Specifically.
 
Cheapest method long term is going to be making them yourself. The upfront cost may be higher though.

 
Seen lots of different options, Trion, ATI and Aquaforest at different prices AMA volumes.

Does anyone know the most cost effective way to dose things like Vanadium, Zink, Nickel and Manganese?

Some are £12 for 200ml like aquaforest, and Triton is £20 for 100ml BUT you can’t easily compare the concentration.

These are recommended each month.
This might sound sarcastic - but my comment would be 'don't dose anything you aren't measuring' - i.e. don't dose them. You don't need them...
 
Cheapest is probably tropic marin brs hybrid method. I just add trace A and K to my 2 part. Its been a few months and some of my corals are showing more red, otherwise I dont see a huge difference although Im starting at a lower dose...
 
Have an ICP test once a month.
The point was - just becasue the numbers register as 'zero' - does not mean you need to dose them. A lot of the elements are present in concentrations so small they can't be measured in NSW/ICP. Its my opinion that the benefit of looking at metals (for the most part) by ICP is to be sure they aren't increasing.
 
This might sound sarcastic - but my comment would be 'don't dose anything you aren't measuring' - i.e. don't dose them. You don't need them...
Have an ICP test once a month.
The point was - just becasue the numbers register as 'zero' - does not mean you need to dose them. A lot of the elements are present in concentrations so small they can't be measured in NSW/ICP. Its my opinion that the benefit of looking at metals (for the most part) by ICP is to be sure they aren't increasing.
Triton labs are telling me to dose them.
 
I dose 2ml biweekly mainly because I rarely change water
 
Have an ICP test once a month.

Triton labs are telling me to dose them.
Is that becasue Triton makes money having you dose them - or is there some kind of problem in your tank that you're trying to fix with vanadium? Again - I'm not trying to be argumentative - I am just curious. Are you following the triton method? (i.e. no water changes) - or are you changing water, etc?
 
No problem.

I am following the triton method yes. Just trying to keep doses as per recommendation.
Sorry - I thought you had just done an isolated ICP test - and were worried.. If you're following that method and they recommend dosing it - I would follow their recommendations. I.e. despite the cost - I would use the Triton product.
 
I’m hoping to use the Aquaforest version as it’s half the cost and twice the size!

BUT II don’t know the concentration.
 
I’m hoping to use the Aquaforest version as it’s half the cost and twice the size!

BUT II don’t know the concentration.
I would call aquaforest - and ask them to tell you the ingredients. IMHO - if you're going to follow a 'method' its best to 'follow that method'. On the other hand - if you're doing ICP tests every month - you will soon know - whether the concentration is too high or too low - if you use Aquaforest. But - other than contacting the manufacturer - I don't know how you will get the information. Good luck!
 
Here's someone who has compared the potency of various trace elements
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top