What’s up with my Candy cane ?

Poseidon!

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 7, 2024
Messages
49
Reaction score
79
Location
Covington
What state or country do you live in
Kentucky
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9B69FF6E-79FE-4066-8095-FCD8454AA2B3.jpeg
I just noticed this on my candy cane. I couldn’t find anything online. Any thoughts ?
 
The flesh is melting. i would pull it out and toss. send tank parameters and what your testing with as well as lighting and how long its been in tank for, so me and other members could help better assess the situation.
 
Thank you so much. That’s what I thought too. I got it out of my tank and it’s a goner
 
i would still test the tank to get a estimate of what params are
 
I wouldt have tossed it they are very resilient. I’ve have brought some back from very little. I would assume it’s a fairly new tank and your parameters are off. They also do very well with feeding.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1569.jpeg
    IMG_1569.jpeg
    195.1 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_2744.jpeg
    IMG_2744.jpeg
    168.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2743.jpeg
    IMG_2743.jpeg
    160.7 KB · Views: 35
I wouldt have tossed it they are very resilient. I’ve have brought some back from very little. I would assume it’s a fairly new tank and your parameters are off. They also do very well with feeding.
His candy canes flesh was melting it was toast.why risk spreading to other other corals?
 
I wouldt have tossed it they are very resilient. I’ve have brought some back from very little. I would assume it’s a fairly new tank and your parameters are off. They also do very well with feeding.
I'm with you, I probably would not have tossed it. I probably would start with a water change (that's my go to when stuff is going south) and test parameters. If it being an eye sore is a problem I would move it to a less obvious area and let it do it's thing.
 
His candy canes flesh was melting it was toast.why risk spreading to other other corals?
Like I said earlier probably is from his parameters wich will affect his other corals as well. Also could be the light. No reason to throw away money till you know it’s completely dead. If it was affected good chance the other corals will be struggling as well. Should he throw all those away too instead of fixing the problem. Just sayin. We need all the info to figure out what’s goin on in his tank.
 
As mentioned it’s melting which means it’s dying , although I don’t know if melting is contagious…. You should post your water parameters and type of lighting and flow, so we can try to figure out what is wrong.
 
As mentioned it’s melting which means it’s dying , although I don’t know if melting is contagious…. You should post your water parameters and type of lighting and flow, so we can try to figure out what is wrong.
About 1.5 to 2 weeks ago I had an algae bloom my 5 gallon tank is going in to its 3rd month of running. I have the. Eveo 5 gallon
 
About 1.5 to 2 weeks ago I had an algae bloom my 5 gallon tank is going in to its 3rd month of running. I have the. Eveo 5 gallon
Got tank size. What lighting? What are you using to create flow/current in the tank? What are your parameters? ie alk, calc, nitrate, po4? Water change schedule?
 
i feel like I bleached them. i wS doing 12 hr light on. I cut it down to 8hr.
 
What’s the tentacle looking thing running horizontally through the photo by the skeleton of the candy cane?
Is this possibly a sweeper tentacle from a nearby coral which has been stinging it?
 
When healthy, should open and fuffy
 

Attachments

  • 20240126_160652.jpg
    20240126_160652.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 23
  • 20240126_161212.jpg
    20240126_161212.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 17
What’s the tentacle looking thing running horizontally through the photo by the skeleton of the candy cane?
Is this possibly a sweeper tentacle from a nearby coral which has been stinging it?
That was just a reflection on the glass.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top