What’s wrong with this Blue Hippo Tang?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Alex C
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

Alex C

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 25, 2019
Messages
71
Reaction score
83
What state or country do you live in
Idaho
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I currently have a new blue hippo tang in my quarantine tank, she has been in there for about 4 weeks now with three of those weeks in therapeutic copper levels using copper power at 1.75ppm. The copper treatment was to overcome marine ich.

Recently this last week I’ve noticed some grey fuzzy spots on her... any idea what it is and how I can treat it?

44119707-465C-43EC-981A-B62A1019EF1D.jpeg


ADF6B602-DB95-4CBD-85F2-F7CE89AA9545.jpeg
 
It could also be a skin irritation to the copper. This is happened with my angelfish.
 
mine did that when my PH was jacked up and had spikes

That’s an interesting thought, I’m doing 50% water changes weekly so I would be surprised if the PH was off too much but I have not tested for it.
 
It could also be a skin irritation to the copper. This is happened with my angelfish.

I have heard of copper causing issues with Hippo Tangs. Hopefully that’s all it is and once the copper treatment is complete it will resolve itself.
 
Agree, the fact that its following the fish's lateral line leads me to think HLLE.
What has it been eating?

I constantly keep the algae strips on a magnetic clip and feed frozen mysis and LRS reef frenzy.
 
It does appear to be issues around the lateral line. Poor nutrition, poor water quality, and copper are things that may cause this. Soak foods in zoecon or zoe and perhaps selcon.

Clearer, closer photos would be helpful in determining if infection is present as well.
 
i'm having the same problem they just look pale. no signs of ich, brook, velvet, flukes. I don't know what to do :( I posted about this the other day but I didn't get an answer
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top