What am I doing wrong; what's the trick with Anemone

jphilip813

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 8, 2019
Messages
910
Reaction score
581
Location
In The 915
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for the life of me...I cannot keep one of these things...((In my head, I wanted to get the clown and the anemone, living cohesively))..what I got was the clown breathing and hatching eggs, None ever survive) and the anemone, ALWAYS go straight to the Mp40's when I am at work...and I do have the guards on them...they get stuck for 6hrs on the guard, by the time I get home, it's a struggle to remove them from the MP40 guards...they later die (within a week)...I went through 3 of them...same manner...So what am I doing wrong or the trick to keeping them alive...
 
There are A LOT of things that can be going on. The more information you can give us the better.

How big is the tank? How long has it been running? What flow do you have? List ALL parameters. What other critters are in the tank? What lights do you have and what settings? What guards do you have on your wavemakers?

An anemone that is constantly moving is an unhappy nem. You must find what is unsettling to them and fix it, or they will continue to move. They require a mature system with pristine water and stable parameters.
 
Need more info as stated above. What kind, where from, what clowns, etc. etc.
 
Need more info as stated above. What kind, where from, what clowns, etc. etc.
120 Mixed Reef.. I had 2 AI 52 and one 26 at the time...lights are running on average 8-9hrs a day...tank has being up for over 3yrs now..I utilize the Neptune controller for the MP 40s on a similar profile with mixed reef 120, max pumps are running during the day is 80%..also I use a Kamoara F4 doser (for the major 3 A, C,M.)..PH is stable 8.30, Akl 8.20, Cal 420 and Mag 1260..The clowns hatch and the next day, they are gone (I think they "Clowns" eat them) Ocellaris clownfish (Orange and White as well as Black and White)
 
Nice size, seems stable as your clowns are mating. I unfortunately do not use dosers or LEDs, so not sure if those would be an issue, but if chemistry is stable should be fine. What corals and other inhabitants do you have?
 
I’m not sure what gaurds you are referring to but for my mp 40 s I have the foam sleeve that goes over the wet side. This works very well for me as my anemones move 1 a year maybe and sometime get close to the power head. So when they move I install foam and then leave on till they move away
 
I’m not sure what gaurds you are referring to but for my mp 40 s I have the foam sleeve that goes over the wet side. This works very well for me as my anemones move 1 a year maybe and sometime get close to the power head. So when they move I install foam and then leave on till they move away
They are 3D printed anemone guards, you place over the powerheads (MP 40s)
 
Nice size, seems stable as your clowns are mating. I unfortunately do not use dosers or LEDs, so not sure if those would be an issue, but if chemistry is stable should be fine. What corals and other inhabitants do you have?
I have a mixture of items (White Candy Cane, Montipora,Zoas, bubble coral-white, Hammer, toadstool, mushrooms,
 
They are 3D printed anemone guards, you place over the powerheads (MP 40s)
Maybe try the foam ones they are cheap few dollars and being foam gives a little More buffer space with less direct suction maybe
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top