What are some uncommon or oddball coral?

I don’t have a picture nor do I have any currently but back in the early 2000’s I had a really nice nps red chili coral.
I agree with chili coral!
Currently mine is just 2 nubs that have polyps hiding under a rock but it used to be gorgeous. This is one of only 2 corals that thrived through an ammonia spike. The other coral was my (now) Ricordea yuma colony. So here’s two more corals for the OP. My Chili before she became 2 nubs (First is in my current tank and the second is in my previous tank).
6896C043-2A32-40CA-9932-A26C8AD2253E.jpeg

03880681-645A-4FCE-92A2-FD4186E95082.jpeg

And as for the Yumas, yes they can be a PITA when happy but it’s rewarding and they bubble up like mad under optimum conditions.
Again, these are older photos (top is in this tank, bottom is in my previous tank). I now have a colony again that came from one baby mushroom that thrived through the ammonia.
9A5CEA05-CD97-474B-A01F-20BCEE522A23.jpeg

E2E88C8E-527E-4DEB-8BF6-D4D842466D38.jpeg
 
How about Branching Cyphastrea?
You can see them in the hobby here and there, however due to their slow growth and finicky acclimation you don’t see them very often.
I have a nice colony and a few frags of it. Started as a nub and have had it for over 3 years now.
20230122_171611.jpg
 
Tongue corals, parascolymia, scoly vitensis are all pretty uncommon. Carlgreni mushrooms, umbrella neglectus mushrooms and St Thomas are uncommon as well.

Branching psamaccora is uncommon, I'd love to know if there is more than just orange (which was called out) and green.
 
True Bernardpora, like this one from Tidal Gardens. Almost all of what we call Bernardpora in the hobby are not actually Bernardpora, but small/short-polyped species of Goniopora, such as G. pedunculata or G. fruticosa. These species became known as "Bernardpora" to the hobby because Reef Builders misidentified them. I suspect they got their identification from Corals of the World, which, although being the best Coral ID guide, is rife with misidentifications. True Bernardpora come in two phenotypes: a green, larger/longer-polyped variety with radiating stripes on its polyps, and a red/brown, smaller/short-polyped variety, with sharp tentacles arranged in "triplets."
 
True Bernardpora, like this one from Tidal Gardens. Almost all of what we call Bernardpora in the hobby are not actually Bernardpora, but small/short-polyped species of Goniopora, such as G. pedunculata or G. fruticosa. These species became known as "Bernardpora" to the hobby because Reef Builders misidentified them. I suspect they got their identification from Corals of the World, which, although being the best Coral ID guide, is rife with misidentifications. True Bernardpora come in two phenotypes: a green, larger/longer-polyped variety with radiating stripes on its polyps, and a red/brown, smaller/short-polyped variety, with sharp tentacles arranged in "triplets."
I've heard most true bernardpora aren't really that colorful and more drab greens and browns. For the "rainbow bernardpora" that are sold that are short polyped gonis like you mention, is it a fact that those don't get along with other gonis and will sting them? It's been thrown out there that short polyped gonis that are Bernards sting gonis because they are different.
 
I've heard most true bernardpora aren't really that colorful and more drab greens and browns. For the "rainbow bernardpora" that are sold that are short polyped gonis like you mention, is it a fact that those don't get along with other gonis and will sting them? It's been thrown out there that short polyped gonis that are Bernards sting gonis because they are different.
I have heard that short-polyped Goniopora sting other Goniopora, but this is not necessarily reason to believe that they are from separate genera. Different species of Acropora sting each other in captivity, and they are still in the same genus.
 
I know that no one can have these in their tanks, but I just wish that one day we get so advanced that we can keep sea pens in our tanks :loudly-crying-face::loudly-crying-face::loudly-crying-face::loudly-crying-face::loudly-crying-face:
 
I’d agree with branching GSP but I cant grow GSP for the life of me…
Sure wish I could find another purple gsp! I had one but It died but got burried under sand bed after vacuuming! I saw one at an LSF, and they had it on the back wall but all you could see were the neon green polyps! Its looked amazing! Like neon lights on the back of the wall!
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top