What are the prettiest-affordable zoas?

Robert Binz

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
May 3, 2019
Messages
532
Reaction score
304
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a fairly new reefer and just now getting into zoas. With my limited experience I don’t wanna drop huge amounts of money on single frags but I would like a really vibrant zoa garden.

What are your favorite zoas that tend to be affordable (say 50$ or less for a frag with 3-5 polyps)?

Thanks guys!
 
I bought some from my LFS that turned out to be Punk Rockers. They keep multiplying like crazy, I have found if you order online youre going to be paying a bit more than you would want to. I'd also check Craigslist, I got 5 polyps of Rasta's for $20.
 
@Rudzbrewski, locally or online? I'd be interested in getting those as well
I got them locally, but I’m pretty sure they just launched an online platform a few months ago. A Reef Creation is where I go. They have been amazing to me.
 
I think a big part of this is where you live. We have a very generous local reefer that either gives away frags or gives them to you for a crazy good price. Otherwise just go to the LFS and see what you like. In my experience, 80% of LFS have really good deals so I just go there and pick what I like.
 
Fire and Ice are cheap named corals as are Yellow Brick roads. You can also buy a large colony from Live Aquaria of "no name" zoa's and they will look just as good to your eye as those "named" corals. When naming started prices went WAY up. Before the "name game" no one sold zoas by the polyp. You always got a whole colony for less than $100.


Fire and Ice
IceFire.jpg



Live Aquaria purchase of "no names" in a large colony.
noname.JPG


Yellow Brick Road

YellowBrickRoad.jpg
 
I got a colony of King Midas for $25 and they really stand out from the rest due to the yellow:
Attach694_20200526_111822.jpg


Rastas are always a good choice too and easy to find fairly cheaply:
Attach1339_20200608_214410.jpg
 
I got a colony of King Midas for $25 and they really stand out from the rest due to the yellow:
Attach694_20200526_111822.jpg


Rastas are always a good choice too and easy to find fairly cheaply:
Attach1339_20200608_214410.jpg

I agree king midas really stand out.
 
Scrambled eggs
lemon laser
Utter choas
Coco pink
 
If you talk to another hobbyist- a zoa collector they can probably put a really nice pack together for you without breaking the bank. Among the most affordable zoas some of my favorite are:

Utter chaos
Goblins on fire
daisy cutters/stargazers
ring of fire/chemical romance
lazer lemons (wwc or og)
Fire and ice
bam bams
Blow pops

That's a good mix of color right there and I'd describe all those strains as super robust, they should be easy to grow into colonies without giving your trouble or becoming invasive.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top