What can anglers share a tank with?

Antennatus maculatus, the wartskin angler or frogfish gets to about 4". The problem with anglers is that they need good water quality but, in large tanks, it is difficult to concentrate food items so they can catch them. Since they hide and really can't be trusted with other fishes, a large display tank with an angler can be a little uninteresting to many. The nice thing about a wartskin is that they are one of the less shy of their kin and will often be out and about in the tank.

Most literature seems to indicate a 20-40 gallon tank as minimum. For the most part, I agree. More important is reef quality water which can be difficult as frogfishes can be nitrate factories (Scott Michael disagrees but I do use test kits!)

I've had decent success with frogfishes a few different ways. One, I plumb a smaller tank into a larger system. Say a 15 gallon (which is about the smallest size tank to physically accommodate an angler...there are some exceptions) which is plumbed into a 90 gallon reef. This helps keep a stable environment while allowing the frogfish to pursue live prey.

The other way I've done it is to use oversized filtration on a small (the same 15 gal) tank. I've used big skimmers, 25% weekly water hangers, reverse-lit algae refugiums, denitrators, and pellet reactors to minimized metabolites. This is an expensive way but, when dealing with expensive animals, it is worth it, at least to me.

Oh, and feed quality marine foodstuffs and don't over feed. My 2" wartskin eats a 1" section of silverside once a week. And they do love crabs. I did loose a frogfish which ate a small hermit crab; I think the shell might of caused it problems.
 
Antennatus maculatus, the wartskin angler or frogfish gets to about 4". The problem with anglers is that they need good water quality but, in large tanks, it is difficult to concentrate food items so they can catch them. Since they hide and really can't be trusted with other fishes, a large display tank with an angler can be a little uninteresting to many. The nice thing about a wartskin is that they are one of the less shy of their kin and will often be out and about in the tank.

Most literature seems to indicate a 20-40 gallon tank as minimum. For the most part, I agree. More important is reef quality water which can be difficult as frogfishes can be nitrate factories (Scott Michael disagrees but I do use test kits!)

I've had decent success with frogfishes a few different ways. One, I plumb a smaller tank into a larger system. Say a 15 gallon (which is about the smallest size tank to physically accommodate an angler...there are some exceptions) which is plumbed into a 90 gallon reef. This helps keep a stable environment while allowing the frogfish to pursue live prey.

The other way I've done it is to use oversized filtration on a small (the same 15 gal) tank. I've used big skimmers, 25% weekly water hangers, reverse-lit algae refugiums, denitrators, and pellet reactors to minimized metabolites. This is an expensive way but, when dealing with expensive animals, it is worth it, at least to me.

Oh, and feed quality marine foodstuffs and don't over feed. My 2" wartskin eats a 1" section of silverside once a week. And they do love crabs. I did loose a frogfish which ate a small hermit crab; I think the shell might of caused it problems.
Thank you!!!
Very interesting. They are beautiful fish. Again, I am not going to get one (as of yet :D ;)) but could I hook up a 15 gallon tank with a clown angler to my 29 gallon reef. It has a 20 gallon sump and a skimmer rated up to 120 gallon :) I also have a fuge
 
Thank you!!!
Very interesting. They are beautiful fish. Again, I am not going to get one (as of yet :D ;)) but could I hook up a 15 gallon tank with a clown angler to my 29 gallon reef. It has a 20 gallon sump and a skimmer rated up to 120 gallon :) I also have a fuge
Right now my tank as 0 nitrates and phosphates
 
To be honest I'm still a noob and currently attempting to get mine to make the transition to frozen. So far he only eats ghost or grass shrimp and he's terrified of anything frozen. I've tried a few different methods of introducing krill, silversides and mysis but the tongs scare him.

He seems like a super hardy fish and at his current size he's a bit skittish but he's probably still warming up to the tank. I attempted to feed him a larger ghost shrimp today but he couldn't get it down, which was surprising to me as I've read about them being able to stomach something as large as themselves.

The article that @Lionfish Lair posted is ingenious and I think I may have to try the different methods listed to get mine eating frozen. :D
 
Oh yay, I'm glad you liked it! I need to "re-shoot" the part with the silverside in the glass..... that's a little cheesy, but everytime I tried to do it in a tank, the fish would eat it before I could demonstrate it properly.
 
Thank you!!!
Very interesting. They are beautiful fish. Again, I am not going to get one (as of yet :D ;)) but could I hook up a 15 gallon tank with a clown angler to my 29 gallon reef. It has a 20 gallon sump and a skimmer rated up to 120 gallon :) I also have a fuge
Right now my tank as 0 nitrates and phosphates
Thoughts?
 
Thank you!!!
Very interesting. They are beautiful fish. Again, I am not going to get one (as of yet :D ;)) but could I hook up a 15 gallon tank with a clown angler to my 29 gallon reef. It has a 20 gallon sump and a skimmer rated up to 120 gallon :) I also have a fuge

To be honest, I think having a small Angler tank plumbed into your main system is a great idea! I've done quite a bit of research to find a fully grown Clown Angler but can't seem to find any that are larger than 3" or so. Even at that size the 15 gallon display should be perfect with a total volume of 64 gallons. They do like to be out in the open which is really nice so you should be able to spot him frequently...

He just doesn't know you can see him ;)

It seems as if they're being collected more frequently as I've seen them popping up here in SLC. Do any of your LFS have one available?
 
To be honest, I think having a small Angler tank plumbed into your main system is a great idea! I've done quite a bit of research to find a fully grown Clown Angler but can't seem to find any that are larger than 3" or so. Even at that size the 15 gallon display should be perfect with a total volume of 64 gallons. They do like to be out in the open which is really nice so you should be able to spot him frequently...

He just doesn't know you can see him ;)

It seems as if they're being collected more frequently as I've seen them popping up here in SLC. Do any of your LFS have one available?
I seen one in a fish store 3 or 4 hours away from me once....
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top