What content is in your fish food. Does it matter?

I feed food with "living gut bacteria" because I feel that is the secret to keeping fish live for their full lifespan without ever getting any type of ailment. I use clams that I buy fresh (and freze myself) and live white worms which I raise and they live 5 days in salt water. For my staple, every day food I use LRS food. I never use any dried food such as flakes, pellets or "God Forbid" freeze dried and I use no additives as they are not needed. (IMO) My fish never get any diseases or need to be quarantined on this diet. But thats just me. :face-with-rolling-eyes:
 
Last edited:
Taking from my experience keeping cats, I feed a mixed diet, and since I am new at this, I'm still adding to my quiver of fish chow.

- I'm currently feeding PE mysis (frozen as well as pelletted) because I'm a hippy and it literally comes out of the lake that I live right next to. I love that feeding it means that I am helping protect wild kokanee salmon by feeding my pet fish an invasive species which harms kokanee plus helping support local human families too!
- Fauna Marin soft clownfish food.
- Also Vitalis pellets.
- Hikari crab pellets.
- Some Northfin algae pellets (only sometimes as my algae is currently flourishing and most of my inhabitants are carnivores.)

I have Polyp Lab reef roids for when I introduce corals; copepods will be introduced soon and I plan on adding another frozen food (probably PE Calanus.)
 
Taking from my experience keeping cats, I feed a mixed diet, and since I am new at this, I'm still adding to my quiver of fish chow.

- I'm currently feeding PE mysis (frozen as well as pelletted) because I'm a hippy and it literally comes out of the lake that I live right next to. I love that feeding it means that I am helping protect wild kokanee salmon by feeding my pet fish an invasive species which harms kokanee plus helping support local human families too!
- Fauna Marin soft clownfish food.
- Also Vitalis pellets.
- Hikari crab pellets.
- Some Northfin algae pellets (only sometimes as my algae is currently flourishing and most of my inhabitants are carnivores.)

I have Polyp Lab reef roids for when I introduce corals; copepods will be introduced soon and I plan on adding another frozen food (probably PE Calanus.)

Myself and I think others have moved away from Reef Roids because it spikes phosphate. I prefer Benereef, which performs similarly but without the PO4 spike.
 
Myself and I think others have moved away from Reef Roids because it spikes phosphate. I prefer Benereef, which performs similarly but without the PO4 spike.
There are many using roids while some have pulled back. When i spoke to polyp Labs at MACNA, they said they have attained their highest sales yet for roids as many texts and sellers recommend it to customers
 
I used to feed a wide variety of pellets and flakes all mixed together, but no longer do this.
I instead get a $10 can of nutritional yeast, which last me over a year each, and feed small amount frequently. I've been feeding this for 2 or 3 years now, and all of my fish are big, boisterous and disease free. I will occasionally see an ich spot or two, but that's it.
I recently made a giant batch of frozen food, a mix of perch, salmon, shrimp, scallop and yeast, soaked in amino acids. I've only fed it a few times, but the fish and corals all love it.

My favorite thing about this method is the savings. I spent $38 on enough food to last me two years, while for prepared foods I'd spend closer to $250 for a similar amount. Never going back.
 
Myself and I think others have moved away from Reef Roids because it spikes phosphate. I prefer Benereef, which performs similarly but without the PO4 spike.
There seems to be mixed opinions on whether spiked phosphates are a bad thing though? I just do a weekly water change no matter what and test my parameters every few days.

I bought PE Calanus today, so my fish eat that now too. Next diet addition will probably be brine shrimp.
 
I used to feed home made frozen but I don’t think the mix provided enough of what the fish needed. They looked ok but were on the thin side and the colour was off.

Now I am feeding them FM Soft Multi Mix, FM Soft Protein Super Food and they also eat FM Ocean Plankton (Calanus) Fish and coral food.

Now they have what I think is proper size (neither submarine or paper thin) and the colours looks right.

Picture of few that co-operate:
1692304845567.jpeg

1692304938120.jpeg

 
I used to feed home made frozen but I don’t think the mix provided enough of what the fish needed. They looked ok but were on the thin side and the colour was off.

Now I am feeding them FM Soft Multi Mix, FM Soft Protein Super Food and they also eat FM Ocean Plankton (Calanus) Fish and coral food.

Now they have what I think is proper size (neither submarine or paper thin) and the colours looks right.

Picture of few that co-operate:
1692304845567.jpeg

1692304938120.jpeg

Look plump !
 
Look plump !
Maybe chunky but definitely very active vs. before. Also the colours do show vs. before.
Now they act like reef fish I see on videos moving all over the tank, before it was well opposite and depressing …

But if they keep gaining weight I might have to cut back on the feeding a bit. The FM fish food doesn’t seem to pack fillers.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top