What could be happening with my chalices???

Waxhaw reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 13, 2016
Messages
31
Reaction score
11
Location
Charlotte, NC
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have two chalices, one recently started to brown then white around the edges then died now a second started to loose the flesh from the middle? I took a picture of it, when I removed it something quickly ran it was long and thin ,looked like a baby bristle work which I thought I didn't have in my tank and I dip all my corals throughly but u know how that goes, any suggestions, thx
image.jpeg
 
That doesn't look good.

Without knowing your system and parameters, it's hard to tell.

What lights do you have? What flow. What are your alk and calc numbers? And while you're at it, nitrates and phosphates? Are there any other corals, and how do they look? Tap water or RO/DI? How do you measure salinity? I think that's a good start.
 
My tanks been setup for almost a year, alk-7.5, cal-450, mag-1350, phos-0.0, nitrate-2.0, sal-1.026, BRS rodi filter, bio pellets, skimmer, carbon and phosguard, dose through a kaomer doser , 55 gallon tank, 2 kessil 360w, and two 48" ati blue plus, Kessils on about 12 hours and t5 8 hours, two Jebao pp-8 for flow, this coral was doing great then this, funny because all my acros recently have had major growth, not sure if something has changed, Zoas fine other lps fine, ???????
 
A thought:

With a major growth spurt you should have had to adjust your dosers to compensate. (Something I'm not great about remembering to do!) This looks consistent with an alkalinity dip (or dips) that could result.

Also, do you do water changes? How much, how often?
 
Last edited:
personally for me, alk swings have been problematic of my chalices. one time i got down in the 6.5dkh range and i lost 2 and one time i got in the 11-12dkh range and they started receding but i managed to save. I go for 8-8.3... I'm pretty sure there was a lighter calcium swing that followed this for me too

Also, both of these swings, oddly enough my acros were never seriously affected, chalices were more sensitive
 
Could it also be placement in the tank. I had three to far out of the light and the started to look like this. I moved them and now the are coming back, I also what are you feeding the tank.
 
Looks like low alk, stn. Then if you have a lot of anthropodes, they come in and eat the dead and left over live flesh along with worms and bacteria/ brown jelly.
 
Low alk or not consistent, maybe that's it, even with my doser I cannot keep my alk above 9, I was using EVS, then switched to C-Balance, problem is that I have to get my alk level right then use C-balance to maintain it but it always goes down , I use BRS alk to raise the level but it doesn't stay, even when I raise my dose, that's why I started to dose kalk to help , but everything else is doing fine, to me it looked a predator was having at it but ur probably right, thx
 
We might be able to help you target you doser level a little better. (Maybe.)

How much Cbalance is your doser putting in every day right now?

Can you post a tank pic so we can get an idea as to the total volume/surface area of coral?

Also, do you know how bright your lights are? (lux or PAR readings would be fine.....you can get a free [HASHTAG]#lux[/HASHTAG] [HASHTAG]#meter[/HASHTAG] app for your smartphone's camera)
 
Idk, all three chalices I have seems to tolerate alk swings between 9.3-11 with no issues. I try not to let my alkalinity go below 9.
 
After having excellent growth and color on my chalice, I experienced the same problem with STN. I thought maybe the problem was with pests because of the pods fleeing the scene of the crime when I moved the piece to inspect. Long story short was that my water was stripped clean of nutrients and Alk. was low from the period of solid growth. Had the same problem with some acans receding.

My nitrates and phosphate were undetectable and chalice and acans both do better for me in nutrients in the water. I cut back my skimmer to run 12 hours a day, fed heavier, stablized my alk and everything got better and started to grow again. But I had already lost several chalice and acans.
 
Ok I will take a pic and give my dosing parameters, but what about that lux app. Exactly how do I use it?? Or how do u use it
We might be able to help you target you doser level a little better. (Maybe.)

How much Cbalance is your doser putting in every day right now?

Can you post a tank pic so we can get an idea as to the total volume/surface area of coral?

Also, do you know how bright your lights are? (lux or PAR readings would be fine.....you can get a free [HASHTAG]#lux[/HASHTAG] [HASHTAG]#meter[/HASHTAG] app for your smartphone's camera)
 
Heres my tank, right now I'm dosing 60ml of alk and 30ml of cal, I did have them balanced but alk was dropping, I've also added a kalk reservoir, I think it's 1l and I mixed two teaspoons of two little fishes kalk and dosing 75 ml during the day, 12 hours plus the cal, dosing alk at night threw 12 hours, the last two days my alk was 8.56dkh, on Saturday during my testing , my alk has been 7.5dkh, I then slowly raise to 9.0 threw the weekend but always is dropping, I raise with BRS alk, I will be switching back to BRS when my containers are empty, I'm thinking that C -balance isn't as strong?? Also someone posted that two little fishes kalk lowered their alk, who knows, thx for any advise!!

image.jpeg


image.jpeg
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top