What Equipment Would Make The Perfect Frag Tank?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Reed639
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

Reed639

unregistered
View Badges
Joined
Feb 8, 2011
Messages
803
Reaction score
2
Location
US
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What Equipment Would Make The Perfect Frag Tank?
I am looking at adding some thinks to my frag tank to make it better.
Currently i Have:
Penquin hang on filter
heater
powerheads
ato
light
fan

What else do I need such as dosing pumps are somethink.
BTW IT IS A 25 GALLON FRAG TANK WITH ALL CORALS FROM SOFTIES TO LPS TO SPS.
 
What are the dimensions of the tank?
 
I have $150 dollars to spend.


Well, if you can't plumb the frag tank into your main system, I doubt that $150 will get you the "perfect" equipment (and "perfect" is VERY subjective in this hobby). But it sounds like you already have the basics. For a smaller frag tank, you can likely get away with manual alk / Ca dosing and that will save you at least $100 + on dosing pumps. What other equipment are you thinking about getting?
 
Last edited:
My tank has been up and running for over 5 months now I have a bunch of corals I. The tank already I was asking what would you do at far as dosing
 
Oh okay, I would get a couple of dosing pumps (typically around $80 / each for new ones) for alk and ca and then does Mag manually. And call it a day : )
 
Oh okay, I would get a couple of dosing pumps (typically around $80 / each for new ones) for alk and ca and then does Mag manually. And call it a day : )
+1. I'd keep your eyes peeled in the classifieds and you may find someone unloading some used dosing pumps. Magnesium can be dosed infrequently enough that a dosing pump isn't really necessary IMO, but is a real time saver for Ca & Alk.
 
It would all depend on how frequent your water changes are and what brand of salt you use. Regular water changes with a salt that is higher in Mag and you may be able to get away with it. But you could likely supplement with a manual small dose once per week and would be in good shape. Mag is pretty easy to deal with. It's the alk and Ca that you need to stabilize - as you know.
 
I mean if I am using I stand ocean salt doing water changes every other week do you think I would be fine
 
I would suggest a controller, at that size of aquarium it's not likely that you'll have too high of a demand for ca, alk, mag.

A RKL will offer you the opportunity to monitor ph, control temperature and switch lights on and off. These can offer insight to how to better stability.

Other possible options:

A good RODI unit. Fresh clean water for top off and mixing salt is the base of a successful tank.

"High end" test kits; the basics of calcium, alkalinity, magnesium, and strontium; Coupled with a Hannah PO4 checker will offer insight to how your water quality is doing.

These are a few ideas I would put on my wish list if I were starting to buy tank hardware and equipment.
 
I'm not sure what the Mag level is in Instant Ocean makeup water. Perhaps someone else who uses it can chime in. Depends on what Mag level you are looking for.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top