What fish can survive in sps high flow tank

Esquire805

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 22, 2016
Messages
962
Reaction score
183
Location
Los Angeles
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is the situation my 40 gallon is sps dominated I have about 9 chromis I'm increasing flow but what other fish like high flow and wont mess up anything. Also read I can have anthias
 
Some look scared and stay under rocks
I have an all SPS tank with 2 gyre 350s and 2 MP40s. All running at a very high crazy flow. It has tangs, anthias, some blennys, really a mix of everything. Even the coral crouchers in there do fine. It does take some time for them to adjust, but time and a good food supply, they all do well. It does need to be noted, that high current fish will need more food. My anthias get fed 2 times a day by me and 3 times when I am at work by my auto feeder. Doing this has made them fat and happy, as opposed to the being on the thin side before I started that feeding regimen.
 
With the exception of sea horses, scorpion fish, stone fish, lion fish and alike, I can't think of anything that would do poorly in high flow. Typically none of those would be in a community reef setup anyway.
 
I have a fairly high flow tank and have no issues with my Tang, Potters angel, and Yellow longnose butterfly doing what they want to do. it is amazing how they interact with it. Especially the Longnose. with such a broad body, i would think it blow everywhere and inhibit his hunting, but he is able to adjust his positioning and get done what he needs to.
 
I have a 180 with pretty good flow. My small male clown stays down in the rok work to avoid. I'm always sure to get some food back there for him Plus the much larger female takes food to him !
 
I have an all SPS tank with 2 gyre 350s and 2 MP40s. All running at a very high crazy flow. It has tangs, anthias, some blennys, really a mix of everything. Even the coral crouchers in there do fine. It does take some time for them to adjust, but time and a good food supply, they all do well. It does need to be noted, that high current fish will need more food. My anthias get fed 2 times a day by me and 3 times when I am at work by my auto feeder. Doing this has made them fat and happy, as opposed to the being on the thin side before I started that feeding regimen.
I'm guessing because the fish use more energy to swim you give more food
 
With the exception of sea horses, scorpion fish, stone fish, lion fish and alike, I can't think of anything that would do poorly in high flow. Typically none of those would be in a community reef setup anyway.
Yeah just want to make sure
 
I have a 180 with pretty good flow. My small male clown stays down in the rok work to avoid. I'm always sure to get some food back there for him Plus the much larger female takes food to him !
Cool I was thinking about getting some clown fish
 
You think a mandarin is ok? They always seem like they are chillin. Debating on one but have decent flow in tank
 
You think a mandarin is ok? They always seem like they are chillin. Debating on one but have decent flow in tank
My breeding mandarin pair are in my high flow tank. They have no issues, as they hang to the rocks hunting anyways. They can even run in the flow if needed. When I take graciliria from my sump and put it on a clip in the display, pods get blown off and they chase them around.
 
Clowns would be a good choice.

I'm not aware of any anthias that would work for a 40 gallon...
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top