What fish should put in my frag tank?

BenHyder

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 4, 2015
Messages
171
Reaction score
34
Location
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 30 gallon frag tank, about 45 including the sump, it is 7 inches deep and it is bare bottom. What fish should I get to control the algae in the tank? Or should I just get more snails and crabs?
 
I have

Tiger Trochus Snails
Blue Damsel
Yellow Tail Blue Damsel

I am probably going to add

Clownfish
6 Line Wrasse
 
Look into Lawnmower blenny or similar blenny.
 
Mollies would be a great frag tank addition for algae control. Do a search on acclimating mollies to saltwater. They will go to town on your algae. A better option for a frag tank than the blenny IMO.
 
Sorry, I disagree with Chromis and cleaner shrimp. 3 Chromis will likely turn to 1 as the dominate fish will kill off the other two and the cleaner shrimp will make it difficult to target feed certain corals as they opportunistically steal food.

IMO, the goal for frag tank livestock is to add animals that will help you. Thus my suggestion of mollies as they devour algae, including hair algae. Another good addition would be a wrasse to keep possible pests at bay, like planarian flatworms for example. A six line however may not be the best choice due to their aggressive nature.
 
If you want something to help out the corals, how about a sexy shrimp? Mine hosts my nem, birdsnest and shrooms. He spends all day cleaning the coral and keeping them in top shape (: I also +1 for mollies for algae
 
maas_yellowfin3.jpg
 
I had an algae problem in my office tank.
I moved one single turbo snail to the tank and in a week it's almost clean.
I have 2 very old large turbo snails that I move from tank to tank when needed.
 
Thanks for the advice everyone. I don't think I will do the mollies because I don't have the time to acclimate them and I don't really want to accidentally kill a bunch of mollies. I think I'm going to add a goby of some sorts for controlling algae and maybe a shrimp.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top