What is growing on my coral

braysky

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 20, 2022
Messages
26
Reaction score
21
Location
Lancaster
What state or country do you live in
Massachusetts
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed on the underside of one of my rocks and now on the body of this elegance coral, that there's this thick white, someone honeycombed looking structure growing. What is this??
20220621_110439.jpg
 
anything to be overly concerned with at this point? Sounds like they're not necessarily the best thing to have in your tank hah.
 
anything to be overly concerned with at this point? Sounds like they're not necessarily the best thing to have in your tank hah.
Unless it starts smothering your corals by literally growing over them, they're not something to be concerned about. A lot of times, sponges come and go.
 
anything to be overly concerned with at this point? Sounds like they're not necessarily the best thing to have in your tank hah.
Not sure where you heard that. Generally speaking, it's a sign of good water quality if you're able to keep them alive for some time.
I have them in my tank (typically under the rocks), and they can get pretty big. Just trim it down if it starts to intrude on any corals.
 
good to know. More stuff has popped up in 1 month than i know what to do with it. My tank is only about 4 months old - about a month ago, the coraline started growing everywhere, corals looking good, and everywhere i look now i see tiny tube filtering kinda works that come out at night, little feather dusters, some bristleworms (keeping an eye on those)....just stuff everywhere. Kinda fascinating to look at with a magnifying lense, but the more i look i find myself going "what's that....is this bad??"
 
good to know. More stuff has popped up in 1 month than i know what to do with it. My tank is only about 4 months old - about a month ago, the coraline started growing everywhere, corals looking good, and everywhere i look now i see tiny tube filtering kinda works that come out at night, little feather dusters, some bristleworms (keeping an eye on those)....just stuff everywhere. Kinda fascinating to look at with a magnifying lense, but the more i look i find myself going "what's that....is this bad??"
Yes, those are a type of featherduster. Most will die off. Nothing to worry about.
I also have never worried about bristleworms. They are part of the CUC. I count on them for taking care of uneaten food and dead snails and crabs. In fact, my CUC is so good that I've never removed a corpse from my tank!
 
Yes, those are a type of featherduster. Most will die off. Nothing to worry about.
I also have never worried about bristleworms. They are part of the CUC. I count on them for taking care of uneaten food and dead snails and crabs. In fact, my CUC is so good that I've never removed a corpse from my tank!
I'm starting to wonder about corpses in my tank. I had a lovely YWG i used to see all day, until i added that shrimp. Those two were insta-buddies and that shrimp built one heck of a cave system over night. Then i saw the YWG for about 3-4 days, just always hanging at the cave. He then disappeared for a week+ and all the sudden one day, i saw him out roaming the tank a bit - ate some food - went back and i've never see him since lol. It's been a few weeks now.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top