What is happening to my Duncan!?

Mattyice008

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 22, 2013
Messages
646
Reaction score
93
Location
Gainesville, Florida
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This coral has been one of my oldest and biggest, always looking great. But the past few days haven't gone so well and there's brown too coming out of these 2 heads and they're just dying..
1373994776717.jpg
 

Attachments

  • 1373994791390.jpg
    1373994791390.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 178
+1 brown jelly. Take out of tank and put in bowl of tank water and shake or lightly brush off the jelly. Coralrx has stopped it for me before with consistent dipping


-Alex-
 
holy crap this is some scary stuff.
Ok, I have an extra tank with no corals so I'm going to take the coral out, siphon out the jelly, then do a freshwater/iodine dip
 
Ok now I'm getting worried...I look over and my miami hurricane is covered in it.
Can zoanthids get it? there was 2 zoanthis nearby that were closed up, and they're usually open..

I'm under attack here..these corals were fine hours ago now they are dropping like flies
 
After researching and calling all my LFS,

I've taken out and siphoned off all the jelly from the duncan and chalice coral.
No other corals seem to have brown jelly on them, except for a small neon candy cane coral which has a baby head showing some skeleton.

The only way to stop the spreading is to either cut off the affected parts, or do constant dips and cleaning of the coral.
I can't cut it off, I don't have the tools, so I dipped the corals in a small container of rodi mixed with some iodine.

I will continue to monitor the corals, and dip them again tonight.
 
WOW! keep us posted please and best of luck in saving your corals!!!

thanks..doing everything I can. My miami hurricane lost half its color in less than a few hours..this stuff is dangerous.
added a small powerhead to put in front of both of them, strong flow will push the jelly off as it dies. making new water as we speak to do an emergency water change tonight and suck out ANYTHING that looks suspicious. Leaving the duncan and chalice in the hospital tank for at least a few days till there are no more signs of this stuff.
 
Just an update:

Corals with BJD from earlier:
9 head colony duncan
small 7 eye miami hurricane chalice

status: 2 heads approx 75% dead, 1-2 other heads starting to die. Miami hurricane, 1/2 of chalice is dead and skeleton is showing.

This is from this morning to 8 hours(now)

current status: doing 2nd dip and then going back into QT tank

duncan: same status as before, added a small powerhead to blow off dying jelly. Some heads have tentacles 1/2 extended. Heads that were dying still no change.

miami hurricane: same

*new corals found with BJD: neon green trumpet, 6 heads. Healthy this morning, 2 heads 100% dead, going in dip now.

I'll let you guys know how they do tomorrow..If this continues and I find any more corals with BJD tomorrow in my DT, I'm probably going to tear the tank down..this stuff ******* sucks man.
 
Update:

2 hours after the second dip, approx: 80-90% of the jelly has left the duncan and the chalice seems to be 100% jelly free. Siphoned off the rest, and I will continue to monitor the corals. A lot of the jelly has left the candy cane as well.

currently making 10gal of water for a water change to do either late tonight or in the morning in the DT.

I might be able to fight this off..
 
Update:

2 hours after the second dip, approx: 80-90% of the jelly has left the duncan and the chalice seems to be 100% jelly free. Siphoned off the rest, and I will continue to monitor the corals. A lot of the jelly has left the candy cane as well.

currently making 10gal of water for a water change to do either late tonight or in the morning in the DT.

I might be able to fight this off..
Hi you are awesome! wonderful how caring you are of your corals! I know how much time and effort this all takes......
 
Hi you are awesome! wonderful how caring you are of your corals! I know how much time and effort this all takes......

Tell me about it man, lol. This Duncan is my 2nd oldest coral and even if I lose a few heads, I ain't letting him die on me. I work 12-9 today so I won't even get home till the lights are off.. hoping for the best
 
Update..Every time I see the duncan have no jelly on it, the next night/morning it will have some coming out of at least 1 head. This stuff is a pain..
chalice seems to be getting better and my neon candy canes might have a chance, they were opened up more than usual
 
Final update on the bjd attack. Duncan has completely died. Neon green trumpets has started to make a recovery and the Miami hurricane is starting to recover as well.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top