What is killing my poor little zoa

H.B.O. Reefing

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 11, 2016
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fragged this ZOA a while back , and now my zoas don't open this red thing is getting bigger and bigger...only on this one in the whole tank.....I'm puzzled.

20160114_180743.jpg
 
Looks to be plating coraline algae to me.
 
Normally that grows so slowly it isn't a risk to anything but algae.

Those are the only zoas in your tank that aren't opening? Have you tried a different spot?
 
They are red people eaters and they are always happy until this came along....I have moved to a different spot thinking I did something wrong and no change... Do I need to frag them into two diferent frags and get them away from that.
 
They are red people eaters and they are always happy until this came along....I have moved to a different spot thinking I did something wrong and no change... Do I need to frag them into two diferent frags and get them away from that.

I agree that it's an algae type, not certain on coralline.

Just to be on the safe side I would go ahead and dip and frag the piece. Obviously the Zoanthids are not happy and that algae type must be a fairly fast grower if it's already that big.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top