What is my clownfish doing to my corals?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Pom
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

Pom

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 26, 2017
Messages
24
Reaction score
9
What state or country do you live in
Illinois
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woke up and my smaller clownfish was doing this to two of my corals. Neither the clownfish nor the corals are new to the tank and I have never seen him do this. Sorry for the dirty glass. Thanks for any help.


 
Last edited:
Making sweet love to them! LOL JK!

Like stated above they are looking for something to host! I'm sure they would take to an anemone, frogspawn, or ducans and the list goes on.
 
Making sweet love to them! LOL JK!

Like stated above they are looking for something to host! I'm sure they would take to an anemone, frogspawn, or ducans and the list goes on.
I have a torch and a duncan and it doesn't seem like they care much for either of them. I'm skeptical to get an anemone, do you think it's worth it? Thanks.
 
I have a torch and a duncan and it doesn't seem like they care much for either of them. I'm skeptical to get an anemone, do you think it's worth it? Thanks.

NO!

Unless you can come to terms with one reality. The MOST IMPORTANT thing in your tank is your clowns and your anemone. If you don't feel that way, IMHO you shouldn't get one in a reef tank.
 
NO!

Unless you can come to terms with one reality. The MOST IMPORTANT thing in your tank is your clowns and your anemone. If you don't feel that way, IMHO you shouldn't get one in a reef tank.

Can you please elaborate?
 
Also, you may get lucky and the nem stays put for a while. Then one day it decides to split, especially a (R)BTA, and then you're dealing with two or more of them. Had to tear down a 120 to remove three of them due to splits, only after they killed a bunch of beautiful colonies.

But as @DSC reef said above, just providing some information on the risks. Doesn't mean you shouldn't get one, just understand what you're getting in to. I personally enjoy the symbiotic relationship with the clowns, so I actually left the original RBTA after the tear down! Probably left a future chore for myself, but oh well.
 
Not much beats watching a clown in its host anemone. The symbiotic relationship is amazing to witness.

I wish I could enjoy watching the symbiotic relationship of my smooth skinned acros and their zoos, but I haven't quite mastered that one yet :(
 
I have a torch and a duncan and it doesn't seem like they care much for either of them. I'm skeptical to get an anemone, do you think it's worth it? Thanks.

As stated above its only worth if you value the anemone and clowns the most. I have an anemone tank, for this reason, I only keep sand corals with my BTA's. I have few scolys and mushrooms that I keep off my rocks so that my anemones won't reach out to sting them. I also keep one large elegance coral in this tank as he fits in well. Having a tank full of anemones is really FUN to watch and extremely easy to take care. LOTS and LOTS of movement and most of my friends that come over enjoy the anemone tank the most. BTA's have a weak/slow sting if you do find one near a coral you can always move the coral somewhere else but note that the anemone can move at any time it wants and you may be moving corals around often it can get annoying especially if you end up with more then one. As you always should in this hobby do some research before you buy one and make it's something you want pros/cons. You don't need an anemone clowns can host multiple things and are often kept in tanks that don't have anemones.

Not much beats watching a clown in its host anemone. The symbiotic relationship is amazing to witness.

agreed! It's such a joy to watch.
 
Is there anything you would recommend I put inside my tank that they might host or should I get an anemone? This is a 14 gallon tank btw

11233555.jpg
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top