What is my Nitrates (pics), with salifert?

Honestly I was focused on bringing my PO down and felt Nitrates are good until 50. I am ok with them being higher bc the corals seem to be encrusting faster. I figured once the corals are actually colonies the NO will go down but now thinking I may have to bring them down

You seeing any side effects? Algae growth or corals closing?
 
I am wearing reading glasses, but that color is 25 to 50. Still, perform some water changes to get it down to the 20s to 30s and you should be all good. Try a different test kit though for sure.
 
In real time i thought 25-50ppm bc its lighter when held of the color chart but now need someone else to give a definative range
FYI,

It's not meant to be held off the chart, it's supposed to be sitting on it under diffuse daylight.
Outdoors in the shade is good.

If viewing from the side it should be pressed against the card.
 
You seeing any side effects? Algae growth or corals closing?
No side effects.. I know its high I have very big fish and even bigger clean up grew (12 giant snails 3") 2 giant urchins which remove all the algae but also causing the high nutrient problem.
 
FYI,

It's not meant to be held off the chart, it's supposed to be sitting on it under diffuse daylight.
Outdoors in the shade is good.

If viewing from the side it should be pressed against the card.
Tested again. First outside in shade and second under daylight. I am for sure 100ppm+

20230627_173731.jpg
20230627_173805.jpg
 
I would use Seachem Phosguard for the PO and micro algae for the nitrates.
 
Definitely 100+.

There's not much point trying dilution to get an grip on a more exact number as 100+ is all you really need to know :)
i had the same problem with PO, they where blinking 200+PPB on the Hanna and turns out where way about 0.60PPM. I've since got PO down to where I want them around .08-.15PPM. Ignored Nitrates during this time but now have to get them down to at least 25-50PPM. I can't believe I am now having to learn about Vodka and Vinegar dosing, SMH
 
i had the same problem with PO, they where blinking 200+PPB on the Hanna and turns out where way about 0.60PPM. I've since got PO down to where I want them around .08-.15PPM. Ignored Nitrates during this time but now have to get them down to at least 25-50PPM. I can't believe I am now having to learn about Vodka and Vinegar dosing, SMH
Don't stress,

Vinegar will almost certainly get them down.

It'll seem to do nothing for a while and then suddenly drop rapidly.

Be prepared to back off the dosing when you see that happening or you may end up at zero - which you do not want :)
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top