What is on my candy cane coral stalk?

Devan Patel

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 19, 2022
Messages
350
Reaction score
126
Location
USA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve posted this before but just thought I would ask again. Last time people said pineapple sponge but I see they appear on my rocks and stuff but there’s these different things that appear on my stalk. The coral itself has not grown one bit since March and maybe I think this is why. I would really like to see it grow but don’t know why it won’t grow

245C5211-83D9-4150-B515-3519A5CFBE26.jpeg 61835708-B92F-493C-A8DF-598476F0AC71.jpeg
 
The blue lights are making it hard to tell. What's your nutrients at?
 
The blue lights are making it hard to tell. What's your nutrients at?
Everything is very low. I’m not running a skimmer I’m building my sump right. I just don’t have anywhere to put my return pump tube back into the tank because it is so powerful it blows everything everywhere
 
A clearer picture under white light would help with id
 
I agree that the pics are a bit blue and blurry for an ID. That said, looking through your other threads about this, your coral definitely has a sponge or sponges and spirorbid worms growing on it, both of which are harmless filter feeders. I don't think you have pineapple sponges there - I think this is a different species of sponge, but it's likely still harmless (if it wasn't, it would probably be smothering your coral by now, not just growing around its base).

I highly doubt the sponge and spirorbids are the cause of your slow growth problem here. I'd guess there's something lighting or chemistry (i.e. parameters) related at play here for slow growth.
 
I was concerned it was dinos
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top