What is the best easiest method to nuke live rock

If bryopsis is your only problem How about starving it of light for a week or so in a brute container so not to kill the good bacteria and not have to worry about cycling the rock or leaching nutrients into the water which would be my main concern
 
An acid bath would kill everything, as well as remove (dissolve) a lot of your rock. When I acid bathed my rocks I had one pukani rock go from 22lbs to 8lbs...
 
Acid washing/bleaching is overkill. A waste of money and chemicals, potentially hazardous, and you lose a bunch of rock in the process.

Just dry it out, and do a series of soaks in RODI, scrubbing a bit in between. Test the water, when it's clean you're good to go.
 
Muratic acid should get everything of the rock cause like mentioned already, it does dissolve rock, metals.... Should even get rid of copper on it (so I've heard, but I haven't tried it).
But like Pete said,, bleach should do just the same except for copper. If you have used it before or if you bought used LR off someone and they might have used copper meds, then I would go with the acid bath
 
To get rid of a grassy-like "turf" algae and some really nasty hydroids that were taking over my tank, I froze the rock, then boiled it, then scrubbed the remaining matter free, then boiled it, then froze it again. No sign of it when I started back with that as base rock. Those hydroids were hideous, too --- I had burned them off with a propane torch before only to have them grow back in less than 2 weeks.
 
Now I just need a temperature above 0 so I can go outside and do this suppose to hit -20 to minus -30 with wind chills the next few dasy
 
I've heard acid wash can be hazardous.... up your magnesium to 1650-1700 even can go as high as 1800 and bryopsis starts to disappear.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top