What is the best way to test Calcium?

Sean minor

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 5, 2014
Messages
126
Reaction score
0
Location
Williamsburg VA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have a new ( 8 months old ) 90 gallon reef tank and I'm trying to get a better idea on what my Calcium level is, I'm using a API test kit and it says it's at 500ppm seems high. I thought the corals would use up some of the calcium, witch is all coming from the salt mix. Any advise would be nice.
 
Sean, I really like the Red Sea Pro test kit that includes all three tests.....ALK, CALC and MAG. I had a similarly high CALC level when I used a particular brand of salt.

What are you doing to maintain the three? Also note that there is a relationship of Alk and Calc....with one capable of driving down the level of the other. So the two at "proper" concentration are important.
 
API test kit should work. How old is it?

May want to buy a different test kit if you are unsure of the API. Salifert makes a good calcium test.
 
I've had a 180 gallon saltwater fish only tank for over 25 years, and i've never tested for any of these things. I got alot of learning to do. the test kits are brand new, I'm using Instant Ocean salt mix
 
I use reef crystals and it mixes up at nearly 600ppm for me.
 
Reef Crystals mix out a bit high on the scales, and Instant Ocean mixes out low.
I use API for testing Cal.
 
Hey, thought we all flunked chemistry when we were in school, never knowing we were going to have to know it when we got a fish tank.:tongue:
 
Red Sea Pro, Salifert, or Hanna Checker works great if you don't like API.
 
Last edited:

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top