What is the next test kit or kits I should have?

oldfishman

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 24, 2017
Messages
161
Reaction score
211
What state or country do you live in
South Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a JBJ 28 gallon tank. I have a refactor, TDS meter, and a API saltwater test kit. What should my next test kit or kits be and which brand. I currently have a pair of clowns and six different types of coral in my tank.
 
These are the one's I am using:
  • Salifert- Alk, Ca & Nitrate
  • Aquaforest- Mg
  • Hanna checker- Phosphate
 
Here's my routine:
Every other day: Alkalinity with Salifert
Mondays: Nitrate with Red Sea Pro
Monthly: Calcium & Magnesium w/ Salifert. Phosphorus with Hanna ultra low Phosphorus checker.
Every so often: ICP test with Triton.
 
I use Salifert for alk, ca, mg, and no3. Hanna ulr phosphorus checker, copper checker and alk checker are also in my cabinet. I also recommend a dependable and accurate thermometer as well. I've had some cheap ones off by as much as 7 degrees.
 
After ammonia during cycling, the most important kit is a good alk kit (say, Salifert, but there are others that are fine), and second, calcium.

Magnesium is far down the list of early needs.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top