What is the secret to keeping chromis.

cedwards04

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 10, 2018
Messages
299
Reaction score
239
What state or country do you live in
Mississippi
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read tons and tons of threads saying chromis will eventually kill each other off 1 by 1, and other threads were many people have had great success in keeping groups of them for many many years. So what is the secret to success? An auto feeder that can drop some pellets multiple times a day? Certain number of fish? Tank size? I'd really like to add some to my 100g tank as they have nice coloring and do not cost a fortune. But I don't want to be constantly pulling out dead fish 1 after another.
 
Following. I never had luck with them.
 
Luck of the draw, I think.
I purchased 3 chromis for my 40b 3 years ago and they're all fat and happy.
On the other hand, we purchased 10 for our 450g office tank and they dropped 1 by 1 like you mentioned.
 
First, assure that they are eating, breathing normal and have no skin or bacteria issues.
Freshwater dip them, then give them a formalin bath (I use mardel General cure) and introduce. They suffer from Uronema which attacks their flesh.
 
I have 6 in my 120 for 7 months now.
They grow very fast. I feed 3-4 times a day.
They were getting aggressive towards each other at about 5 months and I added a convict tang.
It swims around with all of them and if they start acting up he breaks it up.
Tang police I guess and I think it thinks its a chromis.
Keeping them well fed helps alot.
20200410_195740.jpg
 
Not sure if there’s a secret I have 7 over a yr just gave them a prazi pro dip b4 adding and feed 2-3 times a day I also have 12 anthais and other fish so the chromis don’t pick each other off busy holding off everyone else
 
Just do your research and buy the correct species, there are at least 4 species of fish currently being sold as 'green Chromis'. Some will tolerate being in a group, some won't, none will tolerate a mixed group well.
 
Not sure what the secret is. I purchased a group of 8 six years ago. There are five remaining from that group. The tank is a 125 with three separate sections, so they each have their own sleeping areas. I feed 2X a day.
 
Not sure what the secret is. I purchased a group of 8 six years ago. There are five remaining from that group. The tank is a 125 with three separate sections, so they each have their own sleeping areas. I feed 2X a day.


+1
 
Starting out with young, healthy specimens. Getting a large enough number(8 or preferably more), high flow at the top 1/3 of the tank, enough cover for each one, and frequent small feedings.
 
I buy them all the same size. Bought 3 one died or got killed off, smallest one. Bought another 3 and one died same day. Have had the remaining 4 for over a year. Not sure if there’s a secret other than luck. They do shoal together and aren’t aggressive at all towards each other. (This is a pic meant for lights for someone but all 4 photobombed it so here they are)
A16E2049-8E95-4AC2-AD6E-B172ED151D4E.jpeg
 
Just do your research and buy the correct species, there are at least 4 species of fish currently being sold as 'green Chromis'. Some will tolerate being in a group, some won't, none will tolerate a mixed group well.
Care to elaborate on this? What are the 4 species and which is the one we should be buying?
 
Care to elaborate on this? What are the 4 species and which is the one we should be buying?

I have posted a number of times on here about 'green Chromis' this was the latest 'These are the at least 4 varieties which go under that common name- Altrichthys alelia, Chromis viridis, C. Atripectoralis or maybe C. Caerulea (stop press! A couple more Altrichthys have been identified which look similar to 'Green chromis')'

As to which one we should be buying, we need to be able to positively id the ones we are looking at in the LFS or be sure the seller knows which one they are selling. Just do a search and try to see the difference.
 
My 6 were sold as blue/green chromis. Not much green as they seem to have lost some as they grow.
Which species do you think they are?
This is a better pick.
20200410_155140.jpg
 
I have ten and have not lost one in maybe a year plus, not sure exactly. Don't know what helps but I do keep them well fed and there are over 25 fish in a 125 gallon tank so lots of activity. They do pick on each other but nothing sustained.
 
My 6 were sold as blue/green chromis. Not much green as they seem to have lost some as they grow.
Which species do you think they are?
This is a better pick.
20200410_155140.jpg

This is exactly why we, hobbyists are having this problem and some people report success and others not
This is a slelection of fish identified as 'Green chromis'

This is identified a C. viridis
32954_1eMdRxeP5L[1].jpg


This as C. atripectoralis
39076_Jx5sgSHZsy[1].jpg


This as C. caerulea
C. caerulea.jpg


These as Altrichthys alelia
OIP[2].jpg


And just for fun another couple
oo_136599[1].jpg


I have no idea what your fish are- your guess is as good as mine, but as they all have different behavours and tolerances we are on a hiding to nothing.
 
This is exactly why we, hobbyists are having this problem and some people report success and others not
This is a slelection of fish identified as 'Green chromis'

This is identified a C. viridis
32954_1eMdRxeP5L[1].jpg


This as C. atripectoralis
39076_Jx5sgSHZsy[1].jpg


This as C. caerulea
C. caerulea.jpg


These as Altrichthys alelia
OIP[2].jpg


And just for fun another couple
oo_136599[1].jpg


I have no idea what your fish are- your guess is as good as mine, but as they all have different behavours and tolerances we are on a hiding to nothing.
Yea I wish everyone used the scientific names but thats probably to much to ask for since they are just chromis lol.
I live in Norcal and all 3 local lfs get the chromis from a Los Angeles wholesaler. The ones they call blue/ green all look the same.
The 2nd and 4th pics look like mine and are very close. Guess I will never know but your reasoning makes sense.
Thanks.
 
I have a group of 13 Chromis viridis on my 220G cube (260 overall system) for the last 2 years (one year in this system another in a sightly smaller one) and so far so good. However, I do feed 5-6 times a day a mix of frozen food and there is plenty of sleeping/hiding spaces - which I believe to be the key for keeping them alive.

This would also be true for fish of the Anthia family... Plenty and regular food (of the right size) and enough hiding places...
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top