- Joined
- Jun 5, 2019
- Messages
- 32
- Reaction score
- 46
- What state or country do you live in
- Georgia
Hey R2R,
I’ve got a Red Sea Reefer 250 that’s about 2.5 months old now. Stable water parameters (no fluctuations in the past 4 weeks anyway) with the following:
pH 8.2-8.4
Alk 7.6-7.8 depending on the day
Calcium 420
Magnesium 1305
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0.2-0.5
Phos 0
All corals seem super happy except the zoas as I don’t think my water is dirty enough. Running a Nyos 120 skimmer 24/7, but attempting to skim very dry. Small refugium built with the ATO tank mostly as a breeding ground for pods. I’ve got a Kessil H80 lighting it and while Chaeto dissolves away, ulva doubles in size in about two weeks and requires harvesting. Some hair algae in the refugium, and a bit in the display tank but my clean up crew seems to be managing it well. My question is what are these tiny bits that look like very small leaves growing up from the sand bed? They are brownish in color with natural lighting. They get covered and blown about by my cleanup crew and power heads respectively, but seem to reappear in different places daily. They are slippery and hard to pull out with fingertips given very small size, so I ordered a pair of long tweezers, but there seem to be a ton of new shoots of this stuff. First tank, so any help is much appreciated. I’ll try to take better pictures of it when I get home today unless someone knows what this is from the attached picture. Sincere thanks in advance. I just don’t want to get behind if it’s something that needs treating or manual extraction. I feed a mixture of brine, mysis, and flake, but don’t think I’m overfeeding at all based on nitrates at nearly 0 and phosphate always undetectable.
I’ve got a Red Sea Reefer 250 that’s about 2.5 months old now. Stable water parameters (no fluctuations in the past 4 weeks anyway) with the following:
pH 8.2-8.4
Alk 7.6-7.8 depending on the day
Calcium 420
Magnesium 1305
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0.2-0.5
Phos 0
All corals seem super happy except the zoas as I don’t think my water is dirty enough. Running a Nyos 120 skimmer 24/7, but attempting to skim very dry. Small refugium built with the ATO tank mostly as a breeding ground for pods. I’ve got a Kessil H80 lighting it and while Chaeto dissolves away, ulva doubles in size in about two weeks and requires harvesting. Some hair algae in the refugium, and a bit in the display tank but my clean up crew seems to be managing it well. My question is what are these tiny bits that look like very small leaves growing up from the sand bed? They are brownish in color with natural lighting. They get covered and blown about by my cleanup crew and power heads respectively, but seem to reappear in different places daily. They are slippery and hard to pull out with fingertips given very small size, so I ordered a pair of long tweezers, but there seem to be a ton of new shoots of this stuff. First tank, so any help is much appreciated. I’ll try to take better pictures of it when I get home today unless someone knows what this is from the attached picture. Sincere thanks in advance. I just don’t want to get behind if it’s something that needs treating or manual extraction. I feed a mixture of brine, mysis, and flake, but don’t think I’m overfeeding at all based on nitrates at nearly 0 and phosphate always undetectable.

