What is this black creep on Zoa?

elBem80

New Member
View Badges
Joined
May 13, 2024
Messages
24
Reaction score
5
Location
uk
What state or country do you live in
United Kingdom
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems to only be on this frag plug (that I can see). I only noticed this today which is surprising as it’s not insignificant! Does anyone know what this is? Should I be worried?

This Zoa has never fully opened for a significant amount of time and wouldn’t be surprised if it’s linked..

image.jpg
 
Should I be worried?
There a few species of black sponge. Some grow fast some not so much. It will, either way, probably overtake the zoa.
IMO, remove it if you can.

Bare in mind, this is from a very blue Pic that's hard to see.
 
There'll be a ton of this going on in your future with the system.
Corals, pests anemone's and algae are all constantly at war for turf. If you allow your tank to grow out the dominant species is always going to win.
you can easily save your zoas from losing by just scraping off the sponge
 
It looks like some type of algae IMO. Does it come off easily with your fingernail?
 
Last edited:
Should I be worried?

There a few species of black sponge. Some grow fast some not so much. It will, either way, probably overtake the zoa.
IMO, remove it if you can.

Bear in mind, this is from a very blue Pic that's hard to see.
I’m not that sharp on taking decent non-blue images, sounds like I need an orange filter. Hopefully this is a little clearer!? It looks flat - almost like mould..
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3085.jpeg
    IMG_3085.jpeg
    132.8 KB · Views: 45
It looks like some type of algae IMO. Does it off easily with your fingernail?
Does it risk spreading it if I attempt to scrub it off?
 
There'll be a ton of this going on in your future with the system.
Corals, pests anemone's and algae are all constantly at war for turf. If you allow your tank to grow out the dominant species is always going to win.
you can easily save your zoas from losing by just scraping off the sponge
It sounds like this is the way. Would you remove the frag from the tank before?
 
I’m not that sharp on taking decent non-blue images, sounds like I need an orange filter. Hopefully this is a little clearer!? It looks flat - almost like mould..
Oh, in that case,could just be coraline, it comes in many colors.
 
It sounds like this is the way. Would you remove the frag from the tank before?
i personally would. If you're able to remove it from the rock you should be able to scrape it down to the plug a lot easier.
 
Shine a flashlight on it. Its kinda hard to tell under the heavy blues. Could be a few different things.
Ok there might be a few different things going on, there’s the black sponge? Mould looking stuff and then some kind of worm/parasite? I thought it was all the same thing under the blue lights…
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3086.jpeg
    IMG_3086.jpeg
    221 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_3087.jpeg
    IMG_3087.jpeg
    189.4 KB · Views: 36
Ok there might be a few different things going on, there’s the black sponge? Mould looking stuff and then some kind of worm/parasite? I thought it was all the same thing under the blue lights…
To me it could be a sponge or even some weird turf algae. I would pull that plug out break off the pieces that have it on the plug, and then peroxide dip and lightly brush it. I have had turf algae become a nightmare once it spread.
 
Last edited:
Ok there might be a few different things going on, there’s the black sponge? Mould looking stuff and then some kind of worm/parasite? I thought it was all the same thing under the blue lights…
That purple coil in the second picture might be a Vermetid snail.
I still think that dark stuff is some type of algae though. Maybe Lobophora?
 
Last edited:

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top