What is this growing in my tank?

Dani305

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 28, 2021
Messages
473
Reaction score
974
Location
Miami, FL
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please help a newb out!

so we had some of this on the sand bed and I was told by the LFS that my emerald crabs would munch on it. I thought it was an “ugly phase” but I’m not sure and the corals I have aren’t as full and lush as they were just a week ago. It hasn’t gone away and to be honest seems like there’s more of it now.

Tank is very new ~1 month. Yes we did fish in cycle, it’s my boyfriends fault.

Just tested my water:

ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0-10 ppm ( tbh I can never read this accurately. Maybe I am colorblind)
Calcium: 380/400
Phosphate: .25 ppm
Carbonate: 107.4 ppm

Now for pics

EAA16678-BC07-4252-9B9B-59FA799E584F.jpeg
2AFCA9B3-1A89-4115-8CC3-262EA8566405.jpeg
51CA4C50-3058-4680-8165-370C77965338.jpeg
34CC278D-70AD-46CE-B12B-CCA1D23CE7B8.jpeg
E93FB2D1-26DE-41FF-9F88-221658263863.jpeg
3E46D965-3D59-402D-AE66-92531D505AB0.jpeg
 
I'm guessing a dry rock start? Also what was your boyfriends fault? The fish in cycle? The opinions on the cycle are just. I used clowns. If done right it's fine.

Currently the tank is unstable and aging. I did a dry rock start and I went through all the fun stuff and now at 6 months this particular tank is finally finding its balance. Take your time and don't chase things right now. Make slow adjustments to feedings and dosing and give it time!
 
Looks like algae… try lowering your light cycle and upping your mechanical filtration
But… a bad algae?

I am running blue at 100 and white at 5 from about 830 to 830. Is that too much?

when you say mechanical filtration what exactly do you mean? I have a reactor running.
 
Mechanical filtration meaning filter floss or filter socks… how often do you replace them. If you don’t do mechanical filtration how often do you do water changes to remove detritus?
that lighting schedule is definitely long for a new tank with not much coral
 
I'm guessing a dry rock start? Also what was your boyfriends fault? The fish in cycle? The opinions on the cycle are just. I used clowns. If done right it's fine.

Currently the tank is unstable and aging. I did a dry rock start and I went through all the fun stuff and now at 6 months this particular tank is finally finding its balance. Take your time and don't chase things right now. Make slow adjustments to feedings and dosing and give it time!
Yes a dry rock start but with ocean water. Also everything is his fault ;) lol jk but yeah he was adamant that we would be fine and we are. But I do know that it’s frowned upon by some people.

Im just wondering if it’s dangerous and if I need to do anything right now, or if it’s a process and it will go away?
 
Looks like dinos. Yes, the worst kind. It is not an algae, but a protist.

No need to freak out, there are ways to combat it. First step would be to get an ID.

 
Yes a dry rock start but with ocean water. Also everything is his fault ;) lol jk but yeah he was adamant that we would be fine and we are. But I do know that it’s frowned upon by some people.

Im just wondering if it’s dangerous and if I need to do anything right now, or if it’s a process and it will go away?
The dinos can smother your corals, sps mostly as they can't defend themselves as well as LPS and softies. While I went through the dinos in the ugly stage I just changed filter socks 2x a day and got a cheap UV to run for a couple weeks.also added pods and phytoplankton.... they will pass. They have almost become a staple of dry starts. The tank is on track
 
I’m sorry I don’t know what bubble slime is! ;Bored

Is Dino bad? Do I need to do anything about them?

As far as nutrients, I am only putting phytoplankton right now. I haven’t been adding any bacteria for 5 days or so.
Is your 'algae' slimy looking with a bunch of little air bubbles in it?

1643162020913.png
 
Looks like dinos. Yes, the worst kind. It is not an algae, but a protist.

No need to freak out, there are ways to combat it. First step would be to get an ID.

Ahhhhhh

;Jawdrop:eek:

I will check that thread out now. Thank you
 
You have dinos in the works for sure. Its a simple process to beat this but follow precisely:
Prepare by starting with a water change and blow this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles.
Turn lights off (at least white and run blue at 10-15% if you have light dependent coral) for 5 days and at night dose 1ml of 3% hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights. If you dont have light dependent coral- turn all lights off.
During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria (such as bacter 7) per 10 gallons.
Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NOPOX as it is food for dinos.
Day 5,, you can start with blue lights - ramping up and work your white lights up slowly
 
This is just part of a new tank. Just try to stay consistent on water changes and feeding. Maybe run gfo bag to lower the phosphate a little. Your tank is a month old it’s takes a bit for them to mature.
 
The dinos can smother your corals, sps mostly as they can't defend themselves as well as LPS and softies. While I went through the dinos in the ugly stage I just changed filter socks 2x a day and got a cheap UV to run for a couple weeks.also added pods and phytoplankton.... they will pass. They have almost become a staple of dry starts. The tank is on track
Thanks for al this great information and so kind l! I appreciate it.

I will make sure to clear filter socks and I think the UV is already running in the refugium.
 
Ahhhhhh

;Jawdrop:eek:

I will check that thread out now. Thank you
Its a long thread. @vetteguy53081 just gave your the abridged version. Roughly when your nitrates and or phosphates bottom out, your good bacteria and algae starve and dinos take over. Too many dinos can wipe out your tank. Read up and take action when you see dinos start taking hold. I have gone through a couple of black out phases and I have beaten them back..but not without some costly corals going down before I figured it out.
 
Thanks for al this great information and so kind l! I appreciate it.

I will make sure to clear filter socks and I think the UV is already running in the refugium.
Blasting the rocks with a power head before changing the socks also helps! Good luck and don't stress
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top