What is this growing on my Discosoma

  • Thread starter Thread starter PeterG
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

PeterG

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 30, 2017
Messages
286
Reaction score
155
Location
St. Pete Beach, FL
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First coral I bought was a Discosoma after reading that it was a great started coral and if you can't keep one of these alive you should find a new hobby.
Well, it has been doing poorly while everything else I've got (softies, LPS, SPS) is thriving or at least staying alive.Who'da thunk it!
A few days ago I noticed this weird looking bubble like structure growing the piece of rock the Discosoma was mounted on. It appears on two distinct surfaces on the rock. What is it and should I get it out of the tank or let it grow?

20180208PBG_2693.jpg


20180208PBG_2695.jpg
 
if it is a small enough rock I usually just take the rock out and pull them all off
 
if it is a small enough rock I usually just take the rock out and pull them all off
Yes, the rock is small enough to remove. Also you said the mushroom is doing fine. It looked so much better a couple of months ago. It used to sort of glow at night and had some texture.
Now it just seems kind of flat and dull.
 
Yes, the rock is small enough to remove. Also you said the mushroom is doing fine. It looked so much better a couple of months ago. It used to sort of glow at night and had some texture.
Now it just seems kind of flat and dull.
oh. if it is losing colors that might be a result of too low or too high lighting. you could try to move its position and see if that helps
 
oh. if it is losing colors that might be a result of too low or too high lighting. you could try to move its position and see if that helps
It's sitting on the bottom of the tank and in a corner. I moved it there as it was not looking so good after I upgraded to 2 - AI 26HD lights. I used to have just a strip of the Current Orbit lights and the AI's were a big step up so I thought maybe it was getting too much light. Tank is a 90 gal
Can certainly try another spot in the tank - anywhere else will be more light.
 
It's sitting on the bottom of the tank and in a corner. I moved it there as it was not looking so good after I upgraded to 2 - AI 26HD lights. I used to have just a strip of the Current Orbit lights and the AI's were a big step up so I thought maybe it was getting too much light. Tank is a 90 gal
Can certainly try another spot in the tank - anywhere else will be more light.
sounds like it needs less light then. is there a cave/overhang it can be by ?
 
sounds like it needs less light then. is there a cave/overhang it can be by ?
I think I can find a spot to fit this rock into. We'll give that a try and see what happens. Thanks for your help.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top