What is this sponge on my frogspawn? Much bigger than the pineapple sponge

Sarah1990

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 6, 2019
Messages
205
Reaction score
114
Location
West midlands
What state or country do you live in
United Kingdom
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys I know there are pineapple sponges on here and they are fine but there is a large sponge with what looks like a little funnel in the centre, it's much larger than the pineapple sponges and I'm wondering what it is as I dont remember it being there when I bought the coral.
My pulsing xenia is near enough dead and my frogspawn hasn't been looking happy.
I've tried to address the fact that I've had go fallow so I put in extra bacteria and have fed a little every few days.
Ammonia is 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10ppm
Kh 8.5
Ph 7.6
Calcium 410ppm
 
20200502_152937.jpg
20200502_143227.jpg
20200502_143141.jpg
 
Picture? Also what is your phosphates at?
Sorry I've put them on now, the kids were fighting and I accidentally pressed post haha.
I've not got a phosphate test I've got one coming Tuesday
 
Looks like a sponge to me that is harmless, I’m concerned over the phosphates due to the fact you are fallow and just making sure they are not bottoming out causing issues with the frogspawn and Xenia. Also, what is your salinity and when what the last time it was calibrated?
 
Looks like a sponge to me that is harmless, I’m concerned over the phosphates due to the fact you are fallow and just making sure they are not bottoming out causing issues with the frogspawn and Xenia. Also, what is your salinity and when what the last time it was calibrated?
I've calibrated it today. I did a water change this morning and then the salinity was low so I've increased it and it's upto 1.024 now
I didn't have a CUC and I'm having a lot of brown/red sludgy algae
 
Looks like a sponge to me that is harmless, I’m concerned over the phosphates due to the fact you are fallow and just making sure they are not bottoming out causing issues with the frogspawn and Xenia. Also, what is your salinity and when what the last time it was calibrated?
I was going to post in the new to reefkeeping forum about the algae though anyway.
I mainly just wanted to know that the big sponge is ok to stay.
I've got the phosphate test kit coming and hopefully it will come early.
 
It was 1.023, I usually have it at 1.025
You know, slowly raise the salinity, and keep it in the range good for you (24/24.5/25), but try not to fluctuate it much at once.
 
I’m concerned over the phosphates due to the fact you are fallow and just making sure they are not bottoming out causing issues with the frogspawn and Xenia.
I've tested and it just read as 0 what should it be, I thought it should be kept to an absolute minimum but obviously I'm wrong ;Nailbiting
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top