What is your best tip on maintaining a stable tank.

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Joined
Nov 10, 2022
Messages
14,188
Reaction score
24,058
Location
North Georgia
Seller Rating
4.7 ★
Rating Count
3
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One aspect of reefing most of us strive for is keeping a stable reef tank. We all want to have a tank that is stable to where all the inhabitants in it can thrive and prosper well. My question for everyone is what is your number 1 tip in making sure your tank is stable!
 
1) Set your light then forget it.
2) Set your flow then forget it.
3) Follow the same maintenance routine.
4) Follow a schedule of testing parameters and adjust accordingly.
5) If a change must be made, do it slowly and gradually over time.
6) Don't chase numbers but do keep them within acceptable ranges.
 
One aspect of reefing most of us strive for is keeping a stable reef tank. We all want to have a tank that is stable to where all the inhabitants in it can thrive and prosper well. My question for everyone is what is your number 1 tip in making sure your tank is stable!

Faithful, weekly 20% water changes.
 
Stability is a kind of objective term. With the exception(s) of some huge outside occurence ( Kalk Dump, Topoff Run Amok, Heater Failure, Power Outage, Treating with Flatworm Exit). I consider my tank/system stable for decades now.

I don't have to add anything to maintain any relevant or irrelevant #s. I don't have to chase fish diseases. I have coral pests, but pretty much everyone's got one cootie or another. But the corals are colorful, appear healthy and are growing.

I don't worry about it. As long as there is topoff for evaporation. My system remains stable. Fish flourish, Corals Grow, Things reproduce. When you have various animals - especially the more sensitive fish doing the Barry White Groove Thang in the evenings then you must have a pretty stable system.

Stable for me is the confidence to check the CO2 tank for the Calc Rx and walk out the door for a 2 week vacation and the only thing the tank needs is some food and an algae wipe. There are no specific instructions left with wife or house sitter while I am gone. There is no fear of something going out of whack. There is the fear that "Feces Happens" - LIke a critical piece of equipment failure - a return pump, a heater. But other than those 2 things my system should remain stable and not risk or jeopardize the lives I am responsible for - for a considerable amount of time.

Assuming a 'System' is stable, what does it take to keep conditions ideal for the livestock to flourish. Stability of your parameters (without intervention by me) and Keeping my filthy hands out of the tank.


Dave B
 
Stop fiddling with it.
 
Same as advice above. My advice is to ignore it. Not saying neglect it, but don't react to every change just let it do it's thing and intervene only if absolutely necessary. As soon as I stopped fiddling with everything and dosing this and that, my tank did better than ever.
 
Keep your fish well fed and everything else will tend to flourish as well.
 
Kalkwasser, there is nothing like calcium hydroxide that can make your tank thrive with such little effort! Your corals will thank you and it's dirt cheap.

Phosphate spikes are dangerous and will bleach your corals, I would argue it's one of the most important parameters to adjust slowly especially bringing the levels down

Keep it simple, you don't need all the gadgets. Don't chase numbers either don't stress if parameters fluctuate it's pretty normal

Don't rule out fish with a purpose! I keep lots of tangs and in turn allows me to have higher phosphates and nitrates without crazy algae blooms. Zebrazoma I would say in my experience are the hardiest of them all. I would also argue blue tangs are hardy unless I lucked out but that thing has gone through hell and back and has never gotten a spot.

If your not a quarantine person then get a proper UV! They do work but you have to get a proper industrial one that you see in the shops. There not cheap but they are I would say a great investment. You can do more harm then good quarantining animals if you don't know what your doing or don't have the touch. I definitely don't have the touch and I've tried copper and ttm and always managed to either kill a fish here and there during QT from stress or simply the disease just finds it way back into the tank at some point and your back at square one. Observation and buying from a reputable source will also help with livestock purchases

Watch some YouTube reefers like Jake Adams, Chris Meckley, you will learn more from these guys then anywhere else

Don't fall for marketing hype do your own research and do what works for you based on your personality and be patient this hobby takes time to master as your going to get so much mixed info that will confuse the hell out of you at the start and probably will contribute to a lot of failures in the early beginnings

The above is just my preference and out of everything I've done in my reefing journey kalkwasser was the best thing I ever switched to. Corals happier, wallet happier, and it's actually so easy to use
 
Last edited:
Test, make minor corrections, wait a month, retest. Slow, methodical, incremental changes, if any changes are needed. Sometimes things just take time. My Nitrate denitrator took close to a year to establish itself. Nitrates climbed to over 65 ppm while trying to get the denitrator to work. Now, they're consistently between 10 and 15 month over month. I test once - twice a month nitrates, alk and phosphates, just to make sure corals haven't grown enough that they're out consuming my alk dosing or that phosphates haven't slowly risen, etc.

Small incremental changes if any are needed is key! Don't change 3 things at once and expect to know which one had positive results (if any do).
 
1) Set your light then forget it.
2) Set your flow then forget it.
3) Follow the same maintenance routine.
4) Follow a schedule of testing parameters and adjust accordingly.
5) If a change must be made, do it slowly and gradually over time.
6) Don't chase numbers but do keep them within acceptable ranges.
FrugalReefer pretty much got it.
Not much too add, just maybe that water changes should be either small/weekly or continuous.
 
My best tip:

Faithful, weekly, 20% water changes.
 
For me it's been:

Weekly 15-20% Water Changes
Frequent testing of Nitrate, Phosphate, and Alkalinity.

Document everything in a log and make adjustments based on test results gradually.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top