What is your favorite fish for 125 gallon

  • Thread starter Thread starter dtm2420
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

dtm2420

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 23, 2019
Messages
228
Reaction score
295
Location
Clarksville
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! I will be stocking a 125 soon and looking for ideas on what fish to stock with. My only fish I for sure am getting is a pearlscale butterfly and a whitecheek tang. Any suggestions or your personal favorites would be appreciated!
Thank you
 
My favorite based on looks is the red coris wrasse. juvenile is a beautiful redish orange and adult is just an amazing mix of everything.

The fish is a terror to other wrasses though after it matures. And you will constantly have sand / rock thrown about.
 
If you’re not going to have live corals, an Asfur Angel gets my vote. They top out at about 7-8 inches in captivity and should do well in a 125.

If it needs to be reef safe, you can’t go wrong with a classic Purple Tang. Gem Tangs and Powder Blues (if you can get a healthy one and QT it) are nice too.
 
Will larger angels and the smaller sized ones do well together? Or should I stick with one angel?
I have 7 large and 3 dwarf angels in my 240 FOWLR. Angels (large and dwarf) can be successfully kept together in a 125 as well, but you need a good bit of rock and stocking order is important. Best to put the more docile species in first.
 
Love the White Cheek/Gold Rim tang, BUT, you will be wise to not add another Acanthurus tang.

I would go with 4-5 Blue/Green Chromis. I have 4 in my 225 gal tank and love them. They can be hard to get thru QT, but, I know @tsmaquatics has had them in the past and they are fully QT'ed. It allows you to add fish to the tank without adding a big load.

In a 125 gal tank, you can go with 3 tangs, BUT, you will need to be picky on which ones. You could add a Bristletooth tang.

Theirs always one.jpg
 
If you’re not going to have live corals, an Asfur Angel gets my vote. They top out at about 7-8 inches in captivity and should do well in a 125.

If it needs to be reef safe, you can’t go wrong with a classic Purple Tang. Gem Tangs and Powder Blues (if you can get a healthy one and QT it) are nice too.
This will be FOWLR
 
This will be FOWLR
Yeah, an Asfur will do really well in a 6 foot long, 125 gallon aquarium. It just needs plenty of live rock to pick at and hide in. Likewise, a Majestic Angel will do really well in a tank like this too. Same idea, same care requirements, and it won't outgrow it. Striking coloration on both of them.

I have both of these fish in 240 and they do beautifully, along with a Queen, a French, an Emperor, a Maculosus, and an Annularis. They all do great, and you can keep multiple angels together if you plan it right.
 
I am setting up a 125 with specific intentions to have enough space for Fiji bicolor foxfaces, but that is my personal opinion since they are my favorite SW fish!

My opinion tends to lean more towards a community of different fish being nicer than a select few "center-piece" fish.
 
Wife wants a flame angel. Will probably add a coral beauty. What order should I introduce them?
I have both of these in my 240 as well, along with a Lemonpeel. In my experience Flames are far more aggressive than Coral Beauties. Between the two, I’d add the Coral Beauty first.

One other thing. Flames are notoriously bad shippers. If you can buy a healthy one locally, that’s your best bet.
 
Appreciate the help. Should I add the dwarfs before the larger angel I may get?
Yes, if you’re planning on getting an adult full-size angel (as opposed to a juvenile).
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top