What kind of fish is this?

nthanhalan

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 26, 2018
Messages
273
Reaction score
48
Location
Dallas Fort Worth
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My friends is selling me some of his fish, but I don't know the name of it. Are they friendly or aggressive?
e9c2c68a96f1a81ebe574c3da5e75a4a.jpg
 
Ocellaris clownfish (orange/white bars)

Lyretail anthias (orange/pink stripe from eyes)

Blue reef chromis (well ... blue ... ), a type of damsel.

All are ... mostly peaceful, but can become aggressive under certain circumstances.

~Bruce
 
Ocellaris clownfish (orange/white bars)

Lyretail anthias (orange/pink stripe from eyes)

Blue reef chromis (well ... blue ... ), a type of damsel.

All are ... mostly peaceful, but can become aggressive under certain circumstances.

~Bruce
What the best way to identify a fish? Website? I use Samsung bixby to identify them, but not accurate.

BTW, I'm colorblind, too. lol
 
Maybe 15-20$ on the blue reef chromis. They cost more than the green chromis.

Identifying: Most folks who have been in the hobby for a little while have seen all the common fishes. Good online resources are fishbase and wet web media. If you can recognize families or, even better, genera, it makes things much quicker. There are also some really good books out there.
 
Maybe 15-20$ on the blue reef chromis. They cost more than the green chromis.

Identifying: Most folks who have been in the hobby for a little while have seen all the common fishes. Good online resources are fishbase and wet web media. If you can recognize families or, even better, genera, it makes things much quicker. There are also some really good books out there.
Thank you. I'm feeling like I'm buying low quality fish. Need to research more to make my tank stand out.
 
Maybe 15-20$ on the blue reef chromis. They cost more than the green chromis.

Identifying: Most folks who have been in the hobby for a little while have seen all the common fishes. Good online resources are fishbase and wet web media. If you can recognize families or, even better, genera, it makes things much quicker. There are also some really good books out there.
Now I need a way to exchange the chromis for a better fish with characters. They too boring.
 
What size is your tank? If you have a tank over 50 gallons there are a variety of peaceful wrasses I could recommend that will give some real color and wow factor to your tank. They are arguably the most underrated fish in the hobby.
 
Fish IDing can actually be decently complicated if you're going for exact species. Things like dorsal fin ray counts, dorsal-anal-caudal fin orientation, geographical distibution, etc are all important factors. My best advice if you want to be able to ID basically any fish you see is to read up on the characteristics of different taxonomic families of fish and go from there.

In this case all 3 of those species are visibly distinct (with the exception of the clown, it may be an A. percula rather than an A. ocellaris but the difference is insignificant).

There are also plenty of people (including myself) who would love to ID fish for you.

Cheers!
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top