What kind of overflow drain is this?

Coral Hygiene

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 7, 2017
Messages
372
Reaction score
305
Location
Northern Jersey
What state or country do you live in
New Jersey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a 90 gl tank a while back and had this type of overflow drain. Never been tested but has anyone had any issues with this kind of overflow drain? It has a sponge filter around a crate-like pipe and has this plastic buoy on the top.
5df76358e41673b9455e8694ac469909.jpg
8902c250e0cbb4f9cf1f16c97568d8f7.jpg
516df9205411fd6880c9663383df2a62.jpg
 
I don't know who makes it, but I would not use it if it were mine. With only 2 pipes, and assuming the other is the return, that setup is a flood waiting to happen. There should never be restrictions in the pipe for an open chanel drain. If it were to even slow down, the only thing that would keep water from overflowing the tank would be running the sump dry, which is also not a good thing.

Replumbing as a herbie, and going over the top with the return, would be a better option in my opinion.
 
I don't know who makes it, but I would not use it if it were mine. With only 2 pipes, and assuming the other is the return, that setup is a flood waiting to happen. There should never be restrictions in the pipe for an open chanel drain. If it were to even slow down, the only thing that would keep water from overflowing the tank would be running the sump dry, which is also not a good thing.

Replumbing as a herbie, and going over the top with the return, would be a better option in my opinion.

Alright, I'll try that. Thanks!
 
Never seen one like that, but it looks like the piece with the buoy will float up and allow water to drain if the sponge gets clogged and restricts flow.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top