What kind of snail is this?

NewbsReef

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 22, 2016
Messages
183
Reaction score
186
Location
Northeast Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of snail so i have here and is ot reef safe? Found here in NE Florida in the marsh. You see them by the thousdands at low tide.
20180127_105350.jpg
 
Marsh Periwinkle and they don't do well in reef tanks, they prefer to be out of the water a majority of the time and eat algae growing on marsh grasses, pilings, trees, etc. above the water line.
 
You can however find Caribbean nerites in some parts of Florida, if you drive down to the East coast of South Florida you can find them by the dozens on beaches with rock outcroppings and such. My girlfriend and I collected around 20 for her mother's reef aquarium at Coral Cove Park in Juno Beach/Jupiter and I believe most are still living after almost a year.

Black-and-White-Nerite-Snails-457x305.jpg
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top