What KIND of WORM is this?

Ryan Rioux

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 17, 2016
Messages
596
Reaction score
127
Location
Boston ma
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
found this worm this morning on top of sand , randomly turned lights on and saw him, so I removed it. What kind of worm and is it bad or good for tank?

image.jpeg


image.jpeg
 
Without seeing it up close and personal, I'd guess Bristle worm. Google that and see if it looks like a Bristle.
 
Without seeing it up close and personal, I'd guess Bristle worm. Google that and see if it looks like a Bristle.
I did Google , I guess there's different types of bristle worms , some good some bad . It looks like bristle worm but wondering if I should remove from tank. I'll try to get closer clearer picture .
 
From what I know that small is fine. If it's out like that it means it's in the hunt for some food. Means you don't feed enough. Whatever you do don't touch it.
 
From what I know that small is fine. If it's out like that it means it's in the hunt for some food. Means you don't feed enough. Whatever you do don't touch it.
It's a brand new tank , I don't have fish yet. It's cycling . And I had one 7 lb piece of cured live rock I added . It had to come from that.
 
It's a brand new tank , I don't have fish yet. It's cycling . And I had one 7 lb piece of cured live rock I added . It had to come from that.
I haven't touched it , I used net to grab it . I read first before I touched it. But wasn't sure if that's what a bristle worm was . They can grow to 2 ft long supposedly and eat stuff in your tank.
 
Where ever you got the live rock from had it in it. That's why it's out. It's hungry. It eats all the death in your tank, dead fish, left over food, they're good to have.
 
Where ever you got the live rock from had it in it. That's why it's out. It's hungry. It eats all the death in your tank, dead fish, left over food, they're good to have.
Yes but it can eat corals and fish once it hits. A certain size?
 
No, they are detritus eaters. The only time you would see it on a coral or fish is if they were already dead.

There are bad bristle worms but they are very bright and striped
 
Where ever you got the live rock from had it in it. That's why it's out. It's hungry. It eats all the death in your tank, dead fish, left over food, they're good to have.
No, they are detritus eaters. The only time you would see it on a coral or fish is if they were already dead.

There are bad bristle worms but they are very bright and striped
should this bristle worm be added back to the tank? I fed a smallllll pinch of flakes. Looks like it's attempting to eat it. And if it can grow extremely large , what would happen if someday I want to re-arrange the rocks and I touch a rock that it's hiding in.
 
Now would be the time to get your rocks the way you want. You want to reef scape the least as possible. The more you stick your hands in your tank the worst off you are. Your skin can suck up so many nutrients out of the water. Get gloves. You want to see change in your tank, keep your hands out of it.
 
Now would be the time to get your rocks the way you want. You want to reef scape the least as possible. The more you stick your hands in your tank the worst off you are. Your skin can suck up so many nutrients out of the water. Get gloves. You want to see change in your tank, keep your hands out of it.
I will leave my rocks the way they are, I have a center overflow and basically built up around it. I will . I will upgrade tanks within a couple years to something much bigger . This one is a 57 gallon. I want to put a black backround in the tank. Any suggestions where to get it? I have seen gloves on Drsfostersmith . Might get a pair. My piece of liverock is beginning to have brown spots on it. Probably algae?
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
 
should this bristle worm be added back to the tank? I fed a smallllll pinch of flakes. Looks like it's attempting to eat it. And if it can grow extremely large , what would happen if someday I want to re-arrange the rocks and I touch a rock that it's hiding in.

Your hand will first turn red, then purple then you'll get red lines going up your arm as the lymphatic system gets infected...

Put it back in your tank and don't sweat it. I've had reef tanks since 199something and never touched one. They hole up inside the rocks and only come out (usually at night) to look for food. You're going to see all kinds of things - feather dusters, micro stars, pods, etc. Just sit back and enjoy watching your tank mature. If you're bored, after the lights have been out for a while you can use a flash light to look for stuff that you otherwise wouldn't see. Even better if you can get a red filter for the light.
 
The worm is fine. It is a bristle worm. Even the red ones are beneficial. The reason some people say they are bad is because they can leave a nasty sting if you touch them.

I would take another look at the rock scape. You want something that will allow lots of flow between the rocks. Also, there aren't many places to put coral. Spread them out a bit. Keep in mind that if you put one coral directly above another, the one on top will shade the other robbing it of the light it needs to grow.

Good luck. You are off to a great start!
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top