What kind of worm is this?

codygarner08

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 15, 2017
Messages
101
Reaction score
35
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
d1cd5c24d02d002b5d7305eb82fc8ec4.jpg
eb37508cc836d7e306a0f6439eac8021.jpg
 
If he is good I’ll put him back in the tank if not I’m going to take him to his grave.
 
bad, they are pests and I would remove. There are several types of bristle worms, the worst being fire worms- so I wouldn't touch to much, they can irritate skin. Also some will target fish while they sleep.
 
The worst type of hitch hiker. Kill it and remove as many as you see. With 1 that big, you will most prob have more in the tank. They come out quickly if you broadcast reef roids or other food at night in darkness. A couple started to burry in my masterpiece scoly and favia, I blame it for eventually killing them :(
 
I took all my rock out and went through the sand yesterday, I did find out I had a heck of a lot of snails, not worms. Even started poking at all my rocks. I’m not sure how I got the guy in the first place or how he has been able to get as big as he got. Thank DT is only 10 gallons. I think the pistol shrimp was feeding him.
 
One time I took out a larger size rock to kill all the algae by baking it in the Florida sun. Come to find out, there was a big bristle worm weaved in and out of holes in the rock (like a eel might do). Never knew he was in my tank!
 
There are hundreds of species of bristleworms, of which fire worms are one species. Bristle worms are excellent opportunistic scavengers. I doubt they can capture a fish.

While I don’t buy them, I find them useful as a sandbed detrivore.

 
Last edited:
Def a fireworm...very different than a common bristle...eats corals and bristle are venomous ...
 
So I ended up seeing 3 small ones today after feeding my clown. I’m going to go to a LFS and get something that eats these guys(worms). I don’t want my little clown fish getting hurt by them. Have they been known to attack clownfish?
 
That ones special and hardly ever seen. The others are most likely common bristles.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top