What lessons have your aquascape taught you?

First few Aquariums I had I always just stacked the rocks, not only did it look awful they could be dislodged an fall over. I learned that Glue and Mortar is the way to go, if I could go back I would have glued and mortared all the rocks and never stack again.
 
I try a nice aquascape.... then I just stuff as much coral as I can in there and never see the scape again... then get frustrated that I spent so much time on the scape and I end up not seeing it
sadpikachu.gif
 
So this is my first reef tank as such first time aquascaping in a reef tank as well... I wanted to create a bonsai/NSA style scape and tried to take into account of shadowing when I built the scape.

The more I look at it, the more I want to fix it or add more to it. Anyone have any suggestions for me? (Are my branches too close together for a nano?) This going into a 18x18x18 cube, hopefully I didn't build too close to the walls. I am planning to add a small island up at the front with a piece of live rock when I cycle my tank.

PXL_20210825_003830535.jpg
 
I suck at scaping!
Absolutely this!!!!

All I've learned is that no matter how much time I spend on it when I'm done I don't like the way it looks. I think with my next tank I'm going to go back to the old school "wall of rock" look where I just stack a bunch of rocks in the tank and however they look is good enough for me. What difference does it make if I don't like it in the end anyway.
 
First few Aquariums I had I always just stacked the rocks, not only did it look awful they could be dislodged an fall over. I learned that Glue and Mortar is the way to go, if I could go back I would have glued and mortared all the rocks and never stack again.
I did the same in my first, and the worst part was never being able to make the rock fit right :confused: I use super glue, insta set, and E-Marco 400 cement for both tanks and i’ll never go back
 
So this is my first reef tank as such first time aquascaping in a reef tank as well... I wanted to create a bonsai/NSA style scape and tried to take into account of shadowing when I built the scape.

The more I look at it, the more I want to fix it or add more to it. Anyone have any suggestions for me? (Are my branches too close together for a nano?) This going into a 18x18x18 cube, hopefully I didn't build too close to the walls. I am planning to add a small island up at the front with a piece of live rock when I cycle my tank.

PXL_20210825_003830535.jpg
It’s absolutely stunning! Love the way you used small pieces and created little interesting hang-offs. Only thing I would be concerned about is the steepness, but might just be the angle. Even so, could work around if you use putty when placing the corals or attaching with rubble. Looks great - cubes are hard!
 
It’s absolutely stunning! Love the way you used small pieces and created little interesting hang-offs. Only thing I would be concerned about is the steepness, but might just be the angle. Even so, could work around if you use putty when placing the corals or attaching with rubble. Looks great - cubes are hard!
Thanks! Yea I was mostly concerned with the steepness as well, especially bottom branch on the left that extends up. I might knock that one back down and try to build a more gradual incline.
 
Also anyone using mortar to create aquascapes... especially smaller tanks. I would recommend this method instead of the BRS method

The bond is solid and no need to glue on extra sand/rock to get the mortar color to match. I would first use gel superglue to get the pieces in place. Then come back with my marco powder and fill in with the thin CA glue.

Strength of the bond is as good as something like JB Water weld. I have never used marco mortar, so I don't have direct experiences with it. I just thought the whole BRS method seemed tedious. This also seems like the method a lot of asian aquascapers are using.
 
I've always used super glue and 2 different epoxies mixed to make a not so purple but not so gray color. Modular structures with epoxy feet to not scratch glass, and easy to clean under/good spot for digging fish.
 
I replied to another response about this but I get the concern, I just don’t like fish haha. Bit odd in that respect! When the corals fill in the tank will look completely different and will work for smaller guys as long as I manage the bioload.
This isn't about you. It's about me and what I learned.
 
I replied to another response about this but I get the concern, I just don’t like fish haha. Bit odd in that respect! When the corals fill in the tank will look completely different and will work for smaller guys as long as I manage the bioload.

I used a minimum aquascape as well, knowing that when the Acros grow, there will be many hiding places. However, all nine of my fish are doing just fine with "no place to hide". :)
 
Absolutely this!!!!

All I've learned is that no matter how much time I spend on it when I'm done I don't like the way it looks. I think with my next tank I'm going to go back to the old school "wall of rock" look where I just stack a bunch of rocks in the tank and however they look is good enough for me. What difference does it make if I don't like it in the end anyway.
Sometimes
Thanks! Yea I was mostly concerned with the steepness as well, especially bottom branch on the left that extends up. I might knock that one back down and try to build a more gradual incline.
Depends if you want to pack as much coral in there or not. I personally love a clean sandbed and would leave it like that to have this cool contrast, it’s really unique and would be a shame to change it
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top