What pump should I get for my new skimmer?

  • Thread starter Thread starter House
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

House

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 6, 2013
Messages
80
Reaction score
0
Location
SLO, CA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!

So I just got a new (for me, it is used) AquaC EV 1000 protein skimmer for my new 220g set up. I have two questions in what pump to choose. In attempts to reduce noise, watts, annd money... do i have go go with the recommended pump or can i use any submersible pump? Also, ive heard over pumping would boost performance. If this pump is rated for 1500gph and i throw a 3000gph on it, will it perform better? Thats what seller said he used and it worked well.

I was thinking a laguna max flo 2900 as my pump, would this work?

Thanks in advance!
 
You can't use just any pump. This skimmer needs the correct pressure in order to work properly. I asked my buddy that works for AquaC what he recommends. I'll get back to you with his suggestions.

SDMAS B.O.D. Member
Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2
 
Here's what he said:

Mag 24, if you need a submersible. I think there's a quiet one 9000 that will work also. iwaki 70rlt or equivalent pan world/blueline for externals.

SDMAS B.O.D. Member
Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2
 
Thanks for the quick reply. Yeah the guy i got it from used an iwaki rated for double what was suggested so it got me thinking, but oh well.
do you know which would be quietest?
 
I initially ran a mag7 on my ev180 and then switched to a rio and see exactly same results. As long as gph is the recommended amount your fine ime.
 
The gph isn't the only thing that matters. The pump has to have the pressure behind it as well. The external iwaki would more quiet.

SDMAS B.O.D. Member
Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2
 
How do you find a pumps pressure? And pressure needed?

Good question - typically you don't find this info so pressure is kind of a bogus target to give you. At best you'll find a pump's flow curve, but often not even that.

You can see AquaC's recommended pumps (and user manual) here.

Do the math yourself, but from a quick glance at the Blueline/PanWorld PS200's stats (one of their recommendations), it looks like you'll want at least 1500 gph of actual throughput (not the same as a "1500 gph pump") and the skimmer will handle quite a bit more if you need it to. (No need to waste power over skimming if you don't need it.) If you need the pump to be submersible (which will be the quietest option due to the water insulation) a Mag 24 will deliver up to 2000 gph in this application (Quiet One 9000 about the same).

If you have heat issues, I usually recommend fixing them instead of letting them dictate your hardware choices, but an externally plumbed pump (whether submersible or not) can give you more options for externalizing the heat from your skimmer pump at least. Cancels out if the pump is inside the tank stand....may as well be submersible. Dealing with heat this way can also dictate longer plumbing runs, which may dictate an even larger pump. (Hint: If you're running LED lighting, it's unlikely you have much of a heat issue.) FWIW, the QuietOne is by far the most efficient of all the mentioned pumps in terms of power usage....this will be the way to go if the tank is heat-strapped and there's nothing you can do about it. It can run submersed or be plumbed externally.

In my experience, most any pump will work on these skimmers - it's why I love em! :-) I'm sure there are exceptions out there, but any pump you find for sale that's intended for aquarium (or similar) use is potentially going to have the correct performance to make your skimmer work. It will just need to be sized correctly for the actual flow you need.

Last, don't hesitate to contact Aqua-C directly by email or phone! They provide great support for their products and have always been great to talk to IME.

-Matt

P.S. Just for one extreme example of "over driving" an EV skimmer, I have an old EV90 that "should" use a Rio 1700 or Mag 5. I run a Mag 7 (about 30% stronger) on it and it's a beast. Your installation will vary in its specifics, so I'd still suggest starting off with one of the recommended pumps.
 
The pumps I listed came straight from the Vice President of the company. He's a really cool guy and is always willing to help out!

SDMAS B.O.D. Member
Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top