What salt should i use? For anemone tank only

SpringPiggy

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 15, 2020
Messages
20
Reaction score
87
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So im currently building a 60g tank and im thinking of anemone only and and fish. What saltmix should i just use the normal aquaforest sea salt/red sea blue bucket or does it need to be aquaforest reef salt or redsea coral pro(black bucket) and do i need to check alk,mag,calcium? Or just the ph, salinity and temp?
 
Honestly for just fish and anemones, you could easily get away with IO if you wanted to be cheap, or Blue bucket if not.
Alright! Thanks! I only have access with AF sea salt/reef salt and redsea coral pro in my area but ill find something cheaper! Thank you!
 
I have two all anemone tanks and use coral reef pro.
Are they hard to keep? What should i be looking out for? Can you give me an advice cause it will be my first time going for an anemone only tank
 
Jus
Your anemones won't care what brand of salt is used as long as the salinity is on point.
Just wanted to know if they like the elevated trace elements.. if its beneficial to them but good to know that they dont care what saltmix they need :)
 
Are they hard to keep? What should i be looking out for? Can you give me an advice cause it will be my first time going for an anemone only tank
They are very easy to keep once your tank has matured a bit. If you are using cycled water from a mature tank start plopping them in there, if not wait about 6 months.
 
They are very easy to keep once your tank has matured a bit. If you are using cycled water from a mature tank start plopping them in there, if not wait about 6 months.
Waiting 6 months is not good advice. It is about stability. I've had success adding anemone in a new tank and they're still alive today ( over a year). It is important to understand water chemistry and how to keep that stable. For example, if you add little live stock in the beginning and then starting a lot of life stock after six months, your water chemistry will not be stable.

This question also depends on what kind of anemone you would like to keep. Haddoni require deeper sand bed as they like to dig their foot in sand. Gigantea likes high light and high random flow. Magnifica requires high light and high flow as well and it is recommended you create and island with a flat service where they cannot move on the glass. People have more success with tank raised btas than wild btas.

You'll need to nem safe proof your powerheads. Large carpets can flood your home when they cover overflows. Are you ready to have hospital tanks so you can treat sick anemones.

There's a lot more info :). But with dedication and understanding their needs and stability, you can have success
 
Waiting for a tank to mature before adding nems is solid advice. It does not mean you cannot be successful with a newer tank, but it's a good general rule of thumb for inexperienced anemone keepers.
 
Waiting for a tank to mature before adding nems is solid advice. It does not mean you cannot be successful with a newer tank, but it's a good general rule of thumb for inexperienced anemone keepers.
I think it's better to explain why instead of just waiting 6 months. It's like saying get married at 25. :)
 
I don't have an anemone. But I plan to have one. I am going to wait until I start dosing and have it dialed in. That way I don't have any swings in any parameters. I hear they can be tough but so beautiful
 
The salt you pick is likely the least of your concerns. I won't say ANY salt, I'll just say any salt that's currently sold on BRS or you could pick up from petco or your local fish store will be perfectly fine for your anemone.

I'd focus on the stability of your tank first. Part of that is you learning/honing your craft. Part of that is your live rock/biological filter/tank chemistry needing time to mature.
 
The salt you pick is likely the least of your concerns. I won't say ANY salt, I'll just say any salt that's currently sold on BRS or you could pick up from petco or your local fish store will be perfectly fine for your anemone.

I'd focus on the stability of your tank first. Part of that is you learning/honing your craft. Part of that is your live rock/biological filter/tank chemistry needing time to mature.
Spot on.
 
Remember, if you rush the addition of a 'nem and it starts dying it could foul the entire tank in no time. If not for the sake of the 'nems then for your existing fish it is worthwhile being patient.
 
Waiting 6 months is not good advice. It is about stability. I've had success adding anemone in a new tank and they're still alive today ( over a year). It is important to understand water chemistry and how to keep that stable. For example, if you add little live stock in the beginning and then starting a lot of life stock after six months, your water chemistry will not be stable.

This question also depends on what kind of anemone you would like to keep. Haddoni require deeper sand bed as they like to dig their foot in sand. Gigantea likes high light and high random flow. Magnifica requires high light and high flow as well and it is recommended you create and island with a flat service where they cannot move on the glass. People have more success with tank raised btas than wild btas.

You'll need to nem safe proof your powerheads. Large carpets can flood your home when they cover overflows. Are you ready to have hospital tanks so you can treat sick anemones.

There's a lot more info :). But with dedication and understanding their needs and stability, you can have success
Waiting 6 months is great advice. Hence stability. I am adding you to my block list, i dislike people looking to argue for arguments sake.
 
Waiting 6 months is great advice. Hence stability. I am adding you to my block list, i dislike people looking to argue for arguments sake.
It's not really arguing for argues sake. Its educating inexperienced members a little deeper. I'm sorry you're so offended by others advice.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top