What sort of fish dwells below the display?

BBoley24

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 2, 2012
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
500
Location
Past the wall
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I understand why people do not like putting fish in the sump or refugium.

BUT...

IF YOU WERE TO....

What fish would you put into a sump or refugium?

Maybe pipefish in a fuge to keep the population at bay?

Maybe a lawnmower blenny to stir up the lying crap in the sump?


Does anyone else keep fish down there on a permanent basis?
 
good thread for sure following along!

ha It is not me since I dont have a sump but I know someone who has a tiny hippo tang in his sump lol
 
Damsel and a few hermit crabs. They eat the food that gets into the overflow.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I tossed a hairy crab down in my sump one time. Was kinda cool but I kept forgetting about it and thought one day it would latch on to my hand so I pulled it out and fed it to my mantis shrimp. :xd:


Sent Via the R2R Forum APP
 
I tossed a hairy crab down in my sump one time. Was kinda cool but I kept forgetting about it and thought one day it would latch on to my hand so I pulled it out and fed it to my mantis shrimp. :xd:


Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

hahahahahahahaha I will have the same feeling!
 
HAHAHAHA! That is too funny. You'd get chewed up over at RC for saying that....

I bought some crabs today and one of them ended up being one of those ugly brown ones that they threw in there on accident. I know those things are hellacious and they get big so I tossed him in the fuge. Im wondering what sort of other fish I can have roaming the sump and refugium to eat up allllll of that uneaten food.
 
ha ya the hippo is like the size of a dime and this guy was just getting rid of it so my friend took it and threw it down in his sump but there is a ton of algae down there for it to eat!
 
Back in the day I tossed my EVIL domino damsel into the sump as a prison sentence...ended up being a good thing, he ate all the food that got through.
That was way back almost 20 years ago....don't have a sump now.
 
I wouldn't add anything that eats pods. That's what the fuge is for, a place for pods to reproduce freely and they will feed your corals. Imagine how much pod larvae is released everyday that you can't even see but it's food for your corals.


Sent Via the R2R Forum APP
 
Very good point... I figured the one pipe fish wouldn't be able to keep up with the pod population in a 20g fuge... I don't know who said pods won't make it up to the display because of the return pump but he should take a look at my wrasse. He can't keep up in my display!
 
Never put fish in a sump, but when I had my sump up and running, I put micro stars in it, hermits, stomatella snails, and at one point, I added bristle worms from another tank into the sump. The bristle worm addition is a tough call because they will eventually make their way into the display tank, and then they're everywhere. I personally don't mind them because they are voracious cleaners (they can strip a dead fish [like a damsel] in a few hours).
 
I put an engineer goby in sump and he made his way in through baffles and head first into a mag12. Something to think about and +1 on not due to pods breeding as well!
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top