What will happen to the Great Barrier Reef?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Emon
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.

Emon

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 29, 2019
Messages
119
Reaction score
92
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning everyone . I was watching the news last night and saw what was happening in Australia.(My heart and prayers go to everyone affected in this disaster). On the news they said temps are rising and I was thinking that if the temp on land is rising , what is going on in the ocean, what damage is happening on the reef. Just curious how this will affect the hobby and now more than ever we as a community must take the necessary steps to preserve the reef
 
Unfortunately in Australia industry seems to come first and foremost so the reef gets all the run off from farming and mining. And of course rising temperatures have destroyed much of the reef since 2016 I believe. It is moving south however as there is cooler water there. A LOT of money has been poured into reef conservation but unfortunately the causes of the damaged are not being seriously addressed..

Our Prime Minister can’t even join the dots between climate change and the fires so what hope does the reef have. I have a piece of the reef in my home and a bunch of documentaries so my baby daughter gets to see it..

On a more positive note the reefs off Western Aus are doing well due to having such a low population of people and no el nino events in the Indian Ocean (as far as I know) so hopefully it can be sustained.

To save the GBR or any significant habitat for that matter requires a global effort.
 
Thanks for the input
 
That’s why this forum is the best we get input from people all around the world, also a better understanding from more minds
 
The only solution is to exterminate all humans and our worries about the reef, the climate, world war, terrorism, smoking, chemicals, toxins, will end abruptly and the reef the climate and the world will continue.

How is everyone feeling this morning? It's a great day to start a new tank thread!
 
Over time the reefs will survive. Man is not helping it due to overpopulation, industrial, and human run off. Keep the coral propagation tanks going. One day we may not be able to legally take them from the ocean.
 
That’s why this forum is the best we get input from people all around the world, also a better understanding from more minds
Just to be clear I don’t think the current fire situation will affect the GBR but I’m talking about a wider issue. Having personally seen what’s happening in the eastern states (grew up on the border of VIC/NSW) I’ve seen that the environment is collapsing with nothing serious being done.. more farms and more irrigation constantly being added whilst red Kangaroos are dead all over the side of the roads in regions they are NOT native to.. looking for water.

Given the size of this land and our small population (less than California!) the environmental destruction and number of endangered species is an embarrassment and shameful.
 
Just to be clear I don’t think the current fire situation will affect the GBR but I’m talking about a wider issue. Having personally seen what’s happening in the eastern states (grew up on the border of VIC/NSW) I’ve seen that the environment is collapsing with nothing serious being done.. more farms and more irrigation constantly being added whilst red Kangaroos are dead all over the side of the roads in regions they are NOT native to.. looking for water.

Given the size of this land and our small population (less than California!) the environmental destruction and number of endangered species is an embarrassment and shameful.
I agree very sad. Its happening everywhere on the planet.
 
Land fires will have little direct bearing on the condition of the GBR I’d imagine, though said fires and the reported deplorable condition of the reef probably have a common cause. Not seen it with my own eyes since diving there in 2001, but it does seem like the reef is teetering on the edge of oblivion. Reefs aren’t likely to survive, at least not in their current incarnation; however, this planet has experienced climate shifts many times in its history and always adapts .... and will again once the climate trigger is gone (in this current cycle, that’s us).
 
The only solution is to exterminate all humans and our worries about the reef, the climate, world war, terrorism, smoking, chemicals, toxins, will end abruptly and the reef the climate and the world will continue.

How is everyone feeling this morning? It's a great day to start a new tank thread!

In all honesty, this is the only real solution. So as you can see, it’s either humans or the reef. I love reefs, but mankind comes first.

We cant just put the cat back into the bag...Greater populations require greater resources. If we did away with all ICE cars, we’d have a meltdown of society. Same for eliminating all power plants that use any sort of carbon as a fuel source.

I’m a utility engineer. I know what I’m talking about when I tell you that solar and wind isn’t ready to save us yet. Electric cars are nice, but the source of the electrons comes from carbon still.

This is why I believe in population control; two kids MAX to replace you and your wife.

We are getting there. Solar and storage are making some real progress. They will eventually compete, economically, with carbon sources.
 
In all honesty, this is the only real solution. So as you can see, it’s either humans or the reef. I love reefs, but mankind comes first.

We cant just put the cat back into the bag...Greater populations require greater resources. If we did away with all ICE cars, we’d have a meltdown of society. Same for eliminating all power plants that use any sort of carbon as a fuel source.

I’m a utility engineer. I know what I’m talking about when I tell you that solar and wind isn’t ready to save us yet. Electric cars are nice, but the source of the electrons comes from carbon still.

This is why I believe in population control; two kids MAX to replace you and your wife.

We are getting there. Solar and storage are making some real progress. They will eventually compete, economically, with carbon sources.
Yeah I agree about population control, certainly not dissing people with more than two kids but if you want the best for your offspring then an overpopulated planet full of people that have not yet figured out how to look after their collective home is worth considering.

As for solar power there’s no reason other than cost not to employ it as much as possible. Especially combined with storage. Won’t solve all power requirements but can make a huge difference. Now we just need to start mining space rocks for our materials and we might be getting somewhere..
 
Yeah I agree about population control, certainly not dissing people with more than two kids but if you want the best for your offspring then an overpopulated planet full of people that have not yet figured out how to look after their collective home is worth considering.

As for solar power there’s no reason other than cost not to employ it as much as possible. Especially combined with storage. Won’t solve all power requirements but can make a huge difference. Now we just need to start mining space rocks for our materials and we might be getting somewhere..

Cost = taxes = taxpayer resources. No one can afford to pay more taxes. Solar has come down, dramatically, in the last 10 years. 10 years from now, I bet it’s less than natural gas. Storage is the other problem. Solar, alone, can’t take care of things for us. We need some major advancements in storage as well.

10 years from now will be a very different game as far as electrical power goes.
 
If the smoke ends up in the water it may fuel coral growth. But im no scientist.
 
The only solution is to exterminate all humans and our worries about the reef, the climate, world war, terrorism, smoking, chemicals, toxins, will end abruptly and the reef the climate and the world will continue.

How is everyone feeling this morning? It's a great day to start a new tank thread!

That escalated quickly ;Hilarious
 
I think it is really sad that the reefs are struggling, but I believe that humans do not have as much of an impact as one may think. I believe that the earth is going through a natural cycle, and coming out of a miniature ice age (considering the fact that we still have ice it counts). The planet is constantly changing and life will adapt to the change. I do think that changes need to be made however, the fact that people from third world countries are dumping trash and stuff is terrible. We need to do our best to keep our planet clean and also support humanity. More education in poor countries on what to do. I am sure that the reefs will bounce back after some time. Perhaps it is needed to clear out old growth for new animals, like wildfires do in forests. They burn down dead and dying trees to create nutrients and more space for new healthy growth. It helps the environment to sustain itself.
 
I think we can sustain a large population of people without causing so much harm to our environment. But we must stop pollution and clearing so much land. Our energy needs will get cleaner over time but the amount of forrest we are clearing without allowing to grow back (old growth forests) and the shear amount of crap we dump like rubbish, chemicals and exhaust smoke is a disaster. Don’t get me started on cigarette butts. I work on a beautiful river and soooo many people casually just flick their butts onto the river bank without a second thought. Infuriating. I pick up THOUSANDS every morning despite the fact we provide about 20 tins for butts.
 
6FF0103C-FDF3-4699-97C7-5C2FE77C155C.png
 
Ain't buying the rising temperature on Global Warming is CAUSED BY HUMANS.

One volcanic eruption/explosion causes more damage than yeeeeears of human environmental factors.

MOTHER EARTH has been evolving and changing for......drum rooooooooll..... 4.5 billion years.

when our dead bones turn to fine sand,.... Mother Earth will still be evolving and changing, creating beautiful landscape and REEFS and yet hellish destruction all at the same time all over the Planet

Who's to say in 3 million years the deserts of Africa aren't a might rainforest while the Amazon is overrun with an Ice Age?

100,000 yrs ago Ohio had an Ice Glacier pushing rock and soil that eventually formed the Ohio River and the rolling hills of Kentucky .

Yet 100,000 yrs later in current times Ohio is now growing more Corn and Soybeans than we know what to do with :eek:

Our lives on Earth is such a nanosecond blink on an Earthly scale

Mother Earth will be just fine when our decayed flesh and fine sand bones will be the composition of soil when we're 6ft under a millenial from now.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top